• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PWLLHELI in September (1 Viewer)

Hi Des, that's a good area to bird in Sept, Pwllheli itself has a nice area of mud, i've seen Curlew Sands, Whimbrel, Greenshank etc at that time of the year. Nearby the Porthmadog area is even better, i've had Osprey, Hobby, Curlew Sand, Med Gull etc there in Sept with the chance of Whooper, Red Kite, Otter (after dark!) etc. Black Rock Sands has a few Velvet scoter, Scaup, Eider; Criccieth can be good in strong SW winds for Little Gull, chance of a skua while Porth Meudwy valley west of Aberdaron could have potential September scarcities like Firecrest, Hippolais warblers, Turtle Dove etc., Foryd Bay to the north on the way to Caernarfon is a bird-fest, then you've got Anglesey with Malltraeth, Point Lynas, Cemlyn; best bet is to check the Northwalesbirding website or get the Roberts and Davies site guide - be careful with the Helm WTWB some of the entries are sheer fantasy!
Hope you have a great trip.

Hi Des, that's a good area to bird in Sept, Pwllheli itself has a nice area of mud, i've seen Curlew Sands, Whimbrel, Greenshank etc at that time of the year. Nearby the Porthmadog area is even better, i've had Osprey, Hobby, Curlew Sand, Med Gull etc there in Sept with the chance of Whooper, Red Kite, Otter (after dark!) etc. Black Rock Sands has a few Velvet scoter, Scaup, Eider; Criccieth can be good in strong SW winds for Little Gull, chance of a skua while Porth Meudwy valley west of Aberdaron could have potential September scarcities like Firecrest, Hippolais warblers, Turtle Dove etc., Foryd Bay to the north on the way to Caernarfon is a bird-fest, then you've got Anglesey with Malltraeth, Point Lynas, Cemlyn; best bet is to check the Northwalesbirding website or get the Roberts and Davies site guide - be careful with the Helm WTWB some of the entries are sheer fantasy!
Hope you have a great trip.

Thanks For The Info!!! :t:

As Jogresh says there is loads of place to go. Foryd Bay, Porth Meudwy and if they are running a boat day trip to bardsey. The coast is very underwatched, i stayed in a small caravan park at Pontllyfni. It was right next to the beach, had loads of waders on the beach and migrants in the scrub by the beach.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back