• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pyrrhura caeruleiceps pantchenkoi Phelps, WH Jr. 1977 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Pyrrhura caeruleiceps pantchenkoi Phelps, WH Jr. 1977 OD Una nueva especie y dos nuevas subespecies de aves (Psittacidae, Furnariidae) de la Sierra de Perijá cerca de la divisoria Colombo-Venezolana', Boletín de la Sociedad Venezolana de Ciencias Naturales, 33(134): 43-53, 1977 (not seen)

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Pantchenko's Conure Pyrrhura picta pantchenkoi W. H. Phelps Jr, 1977 [Alt. Painted Parakeet; Synonymised with Pyrrhura caeruleiceps by some authorities]
Georges Pantchenko (d.2003) was a Venezuelan member of the joint Venezuelan/Brazilian team responsible for establishing the border between the two countries. They did this by descending from helicopters into the jungle and literally hacking 'landmarks' to delimit the boundary. He was working for the Commission (1957) when he was lost in the jungle for a time. He was asked at a conference in Brasília about his surname and is reported to have replied in humorous vein 'My parents are Russian, I was born in Bulgaria, grew up in France, have Venezuelan nationality but my heart is Brazilian!'.

The Key to Scientific Names
Dr. Georges Pantchenko (d. 2003) of the Venezuelan Border Administration (subsp. Pyrrhura caeruleiceps).

When he was in Bulgaria is still the question to answer.

(not seen)
From https://books.google.com/books?id=m_fRAAAAMAAJ&q=pantchenko
En 1974 y 1975 el Dr. Georges Pantchenko, jefe del grupo venezolano de la Comisión Mixta Colombo-Venezolana Demarcadora de Límites invitó a la Colección Phelps a enviar taxidermistas para coleccionar ejemplares de la avifauna en las inmediaciones de los puntos fronterizos que se iban a establecer entre los dos países, [...].
ETIMOLOGIA : Me complace sobremanera dedicar esta subespecie al Dr. Georges Pantchenko, quien durante diez años ha hecho importantes contribuciones al conocimiento de la avifauna venezolana, colaborando con la Colección Ornitológica Phelps al hacer posible la obtención de especímenes en las regiones más remotas de nuestras fronteras.

The bird was described as Pyrrhura picta pantchenkoi.

His first name is also sometimes written Jorge. In several documents on the Web, he is called an astrónomo.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back