• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quebec (1 Viewer)

Jeanie

Jeanie with one n.
I will be on a cruise ship in September and we will be stopping in Gaspe. Does anyone know of a local guide who may be able to do a day trip?
Have looked at birding pals but it does not seem to cover Gapse though since I do not know the area I may be mistaken.
Many thanks
Jeanie

Hi Jeanie.
I've been off the forum for a few weeks, so a late post. Gaspe can be quite birdy, but lends itself to a car. I also checked Birding Pal for possible options in Perce (close to Gaspe), but no luck there either. With a little search I found similar sort of website, but I don't know if it has been updated in last 2 years. It lists a P Poulin who is a little bit away from Gaspe, but has an email address you could check with. http://www.guidedbirdwatching.com/quebec.htm
Usually birders to this area are independent, or on pricey multiday tours. September should still see migratory birds, but the shore birds may be gone depending how late you are traveling. If you could find a way to get to Perce, you could go over to Bonaventure Island for gannet colonies, but maybe those aren't as interesting to you. I have yet to see gannets and puffins as I had to shelf my Gaspe trip planned for last June.
I would be interested in what cruise ship goes to Gaspe and is it really the town itself? If you send a link, or pm me the link to your itinerary, maybe there is somewhere else there is a guide, or I can direct you to a close birding site.

Many thanks for responding. We are going on the Marco Polo which is quite a small and old ship.We leave Liverpool on the 1st Sept. We arrive in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Islands on the 11th. Then it's Gaspe, Montreal, I have a guide for Montreal. Then 2 days in Quebec, a guide for one of the days would be great. Saguenay, Sept Isles, Havre St. Pierre and finally Cap aux Meules before heading to Nova Scotia.
I did contact a chap re Quebec but he will be away when we are there. I also contacted a man who lives somewhere beginning with T at the mother of the inlet to Saguenay but he is nearly 2 hrs away.
I do not think my husband is up to hiring a car any more.

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Tadussac, I expect. I know it isn't so easy to find guides these days. I think a whale watching trip from Saguenay would also provide a fairly knowledgeable birder captain, but that might be overkill of boating :), but if the fellow is in Tadussac, can you see him while in Saguenay? Though you may have other plans there. There is a bird observatory just east of Tadussac. Mingan is another place where boating tour is going to get the best birds, but whether it is anything different to what you will be seeing onboard is questionable. I used the Quebec Province Road Trips webpages when I was looking for my Gaspe itinerary, and it also includes places for Isle de la Madelaine http://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/road-trips-and-getaways/bird-watching-in-the-iles-de-la-madeleine
check out your other locations if you want to see what you might be able to access by taxi - even if you can't get there with a guide.
You may have some success with a taxi to locations, such as Domaine de Maizerets just outside down town Quebec. It seems the more accessible and would give you some land birds, for a change.
Sorry I can't drum up some guides for you, but it will be a great trip, I am sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back