• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Query about DXOMARK sharpness and real distant-resolving power (1 Viewer)

Chotacabras

I have a somewhat geeky query about camera/lens sharpness ratings, like DXOMARK. Specifically: how might DXOMARK “sharpness” scores relate to real “distant-resolving power” of lenses of different focal lengths?

Hypothetical example:
  • Set-up 1 (50mm lens A on full-frame body X) gets a sharpness score of 40
  • Set-up 2 (300mm lens B on same body X) gets a sharpness score of 25
  • But in terms of real resolution at distance, it’s not a fair comparison, because the 300mm has already magnified by about 6x (300/50)
  • So in order to compare real resolution at distance, perhaps we should multiply the 300mm’s sharpness by 6? In other words, real resolution at distance is 40 for Set-up 1, versus 150 (=6x25) for Set-up 2
Is that broadly correct as a simple rule-of-thumb for comparing distant-resolving power of two set-ups? I imagine in reality it’s unlikely to be so straightforwardly linear, and it’s quite possible that I’m misunderstanding something basic...

[Evidently there are multiple other considerations of optics, electronics, mechanics and ergonomics that can influence real-world distant-resolving power; and image quality is not just about resolution/sharpness; and there’s also the question of financial cost; but here I’m simply looking to understand the optical test results for sharpness.]

I guess this relates to the wider question of whether sensors and processing might eventually achieve such high resolution that telephotos will become almost unnecessary??? [Though we'd presumably need to use digital zoom in the viewfinder or livescreen, to ensure we're focusing correctly on our distant object.]

Thanks to anyone who can answer this, and apologies if it’s a dumb question :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back