• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

question about birds and christmas lights (1 Viewer)

Storm-Petrel

registered dude
My mom is stringing christmas lights and wires out on the cedar trees in our property. I might be over-reacting, but wouldn't it be dangerous to the birds? I was thinking that they could get tangled in it or get their feet trapped. Do you think it's okay to put the lights up outside?

christmas lights?? november?? but that's a whole new can of worms.....

to answer your question, no there will be no danger to them at all

I just wish the grey squirrels would get zapped when they mess around with the telephone wires, my neighbour had the engineers out as here phone went dead, turned out the squirrels had chewed something up the pole. Now it's my phone............

Birds wouldn't be affected by Christmas lights, I wouldn't think. Birds can get in and out of tangled branches in trees and shrubbery without much effort, so a few strings of lights wouldn't bother them. Like I said above, squirrels (and other wildlife you may have locally) may well chew the wires and cause havoc that way. Enjoy the lights, birds won't mind!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back