• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Zeiss Terra 8x25 (1 Viewer)

optieklops

Netherlands
Hi everyone,
I've been doing research the past weeks about compact binoculars (this forum has been of great help!), and it seems that for my budget the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 is the best choice. Now I found a good second-hand deal of a hardly used pair, made in Japan. However, since the previous owner didn't seem to be too happy with it, I'm a bit concerned as I heard that there are quite some cases of this type of binoculars that weren't well-built, and had all kinds of problems. I'm going there tomorrow, and I'd like some advice on the things I should pay attention to find out whether that pair of binoculars is a good build.
I'll definitely make sure to check on the hinges, and the focus wheel, to see whether those function properly. My biggest concern, however, is optical quality. What are signs that the optics are either well-built or not so well-built? What are common issues with optics with these models? I often look through the expensive Swarovskis (non-compact models) from friends, so that would be my best comparison. For example, are they as sharp as those? Well, it would be great if someone could give some advice! :)
Thanks in advance!
Jelte

Look at the price of the Terra compared with Swarovskis. It is a little unrealistic to expect the same level of optical performance from a binocular of the Terra's price point as the performance from a bino of the Swarovski's price. Nevertheless if you check through Birdforum I think you will find this Terra has a good reputation. Be aware that if you do not wear spectacles you will probably find that you need to place the Terra's eyecups under your brows and brace them there because like all small sized binoculars their small-diameter eyecups can fit too deeply into your eye sockets and cause blackouts. Holding the Terras in this way is not at all difficult so do not be anxious about it. This may be why the original owner was not too happy with them. If you wear spectacles you will not encounter this effect. Good luck with your purchase.

Lee

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

For sure use use your friends binoculars as a reference point. As Lee pointed out don't expect the Terra to be to the Swarovski standard but if everything is a-ok with the Terra I think you will be pleasantly surprised with its optics. I'd look at hinge tension as it should be pretty tight with both hinges. Eyecups should function properly. Focus adjustment should be pretty firm but smooth. I've had one about two years and it's as good now as it was new. Focus seems to have gotten a little smoother with time. Good luck!

KC, thanks for the warm welcome! And Chuck, the points you mention help a lot, thanks! It's good to have a picture in mind of what I expect, that'll help me to judge. Yes, I'll use the Swarovski as a 'benchmark', I don't expect the Zeiss to perform the same.

I use the Terra 8x25 quite a bit -- it is the binocular I carry around most often while mountain biking. I find it very good optically, I just wish sometimes it had more eye relief so that I could use it better without removing my biking glasses. Very contrasty, very resistant to flare, very sharp, certainly a great binocular.

One thing though, get a better case. I got this and it works very well.
I have a question -- I am very close to ordering a pair -- is there a difference between the grey and the black? Is one newer in construction? Both made in China now? Any opinions on how each looks? Thanks very much.

I have a question -- I am very close to ordering a pair -- is there a difference between the grey and the black? Is one newer in construction? Both made in China now? Any opinions on how each looks? Thanks very much.

The color makes no difference in terms of the optics. I have and like the grey. Current production is from China but there may still be some MIJ models available.

Mike

The color makes no difference in terms of the optics. I have and like the grey. Current production is from China but there may still be some MIJ models available.

Mike
Thanks Mike -- I'm back and forth on black vs grey -- not sure which I think looks best, but happy to know they are the same -- Zeiss must have added the black sometime after the grey -- Another question -- is there a quick release on the regular strap so that the comfort strap could be easily put on for long days then popped back off and replaced again with the normal strap for ease of carrying?

is there a quick release on the regular strap so that the comfort strap could be easily put on for long days then popped back off and replaced again with the normal strap for ease of carrying?

Hard to describe. There is not a snap fit quick release. But it is a three piece strap design so you could detach the standard strap by unthreading it from the short attachment pieces and thread a larger strap through the rings on the attachment pieces and not have to cram it through the smaller attachment lugs.

Personally, I like to use the RYO harness with compacts. Once I got used to using it, it takes only a few extra seconds and then you're good for hours. Some may consider it overkill but it makes even having 8x25 around you neck much more comfortable and less "intrusive" for lack of a better word.

Mike

Hard to describe. There is not a snap fit quick release. But it is a three piece strap design so you could detach the standard strap by unthreading it from the short attachment pieces and thread a larger strap through the rings on the attachment pieces and not have to cram it through the smaller attachment lugs.

Personally, I like to use the RYO harness with compacts. Once I got used to using it, it takes only a few extra seconds and then you're good for hours. Some may consider it overkill but it makes even having 8x25 around you neck much more comfortable and less "intrusive" for lack of a better word.

Mike
That's a really interesting idea...never thought of it but was just looking at the video of the RYO harness and see it can also be used as a strap...maybe an ideal solution for most uses. I'm sure it will cram well with the binoculars into whatever soft case I end up with. Thanks very much.

Any particular reason you like the grey? Or strictly just a matter of taste? I'm kinda leaning towards the grey, just for a change of pace from all my other binocs!

That's a really interesting idea...never thought of it but was just looking at the video of the RYO harness and see it can also be used as a strap...maybe an ideal solution for most uses. I'm sure it will cram well with the binoculars into whatever soft case I end up with. Thanks very much.

Any particular reason you like the grey? Or strictly just a matter of taste? I'm kinda leaning towards the grey, just for a change of pace from all my other binocs!

Right the harness I just wrap around the bins and it slips right in and out of any soft case I have used. I have never seen an all black model in person to compare but the black and dark gray color combination looks really good IMO.

Mike

I REALLY hate that front diopter adjustment on the Zeiss 8x25 pocket. I don't have humungous bear paws for hands but I had so much trouble getting that end adjusted that I wouldn't buy a pair given a choice. I would definitely jump up to the 8x32 for $50 more, it's a much better designed product in my view.

That said, I thought the glass was more than fine for $350, but that design threw me off so much!!!

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I've ordered it and should have it in 4 days. Decided on the Black. Particularly liked how the black looked on the Zeiss site. Although there has been much posted already on these (they are hardly new to the market) I'll still chime in with a few thoughts when I've had a chance to play with them.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I've ordered it and should have it in 4 days. Decided on the Black. Particularly liked how the black looked on the Zeiss site. Although there has been much posted already on these (they are hardly new to the market) I'll still chime in with a few thoughts when I've had a chance to play with them.
Well I've had the 8x25 Terra EDs for over a month now and I love them. I find it hard to believe that at their price point (about $350) they are as good as they are -- very bright, good glare control, very little CA, very quick focus snaps right into view, decent FOV...I'm just saying what many of you know...I did get a pair from China but everything about them seems to be flawless... hinges, focus, eyepieces...If there are problems in the Chinese made models I certainly haven't experienced them.

I want to thank a number of people here who really helped me...first off the warnings that I'd need to balance them against my brows (I don't wear glasses) was really helpful...had I not read it from any folks around here I would have had a much harder time and would have been more inclined to think there was a problem...now it's getting much closer to second nature for me. It's not perfect but I'm getting used to the technique.

Also, the suggestion to put them on an RYO harness turned out to be great. Not only do they disappear as to weight, but they stay put when hiking or just taking my walks. I love that setup.

I also want to thank Chill6x6 who suggested Zip Ties for attachments -- they are super convenient and they've become my new go-to for changing around straps and harnesses.

I've also found out how much I love not carrying 22-26oz....They're are always a million compromises as everyone here knows, but I am now very much on the side of lighter is better and I'll give up other qualities for that. A new world of possibilities. Thanks all.

Well I've had the 8x25 Terra EDs for over a month now and I love them. I find it hard to believe that at their price point (about $350) they are as good as they are -- very bright, good glare control, very little CA, very quick focus snaps right into view, decent FOV...I'm just saying what many of you know...I did get a pair from China but everything about them seems to be flawless... hinges, focus, eyepieces...If there are problems in the Chinese made models I certainly haven't experienced them.

I want to thank a number of people here who really helped me...first off the warnings that I'd need to balance them against my brows (I don't wear glasses) was really helpful...had I not read it from any folks around here I would have had a much harder time and would have been more inclined to think there was a problem...now it's getting much closer to second nature for me. It's not perfect but I'm getting used to the technique.

Also, the suggestion to put them on an RYO harness turned out to be great. Not only do they disappear as to weight, but they stay put when hiking or just taking my walks. I love that setup.

I also want to thank Chill6x6 who suggested Zip Ties for attachments -- they are super convenient and they've become my new go-to for changing around straps and harnesses.

I've also found out how much I love not carrying 22-26oz....They're are always a million compromises as everyone here knows, but I am now very much on the side of lighter is better and I'll give up other qualities for that. A new world of possibilities. Thanks all.

Nice post. The Terra 8x25 is all you "need" in this class. Lots of good advice in this thread. IMO it takes longer to adapt to using pocket/25 bins. The more you use them the better you'll get. Glad you like them.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back