• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

questions on eagles (1 Viewer)

mangurian

I am looking for source material to confirm or deny the following items:

1. eagles push the eaglets out of the nest and then "catch" them with their wings.
  2. eagles destroy their nest after the eaglets learn to fly.

many thanks,

Can't answer #1 - but I've never heard of it before.
#2 According to Brian K. Wheeler author of Raptors of Western Noth America the Bald Eagle will return and use a nest over and over again for many years. The nest become larger and larger each year. Same for the Golden Eagle.
Hope this helps.

Should we bust some more myths?

If you touch baby birds, the parents will smell you and abandon them. They usually do not have a sense of smell. I pick up the babies and put them in the nearest bush or tree.

I will also agree that the Eagle returns to a nest again and again. The nest weighs between one ton and 2 tons..a little big to just destroy even by the Eagle and not risk injury. I have seen one nest in person and the owners of the land did say they return. There are also some on protected land and those eagles also return. There is another nest not too far from me that is used year after year. I think you could search the internet for a local Audubon society which would probably have some source information. If not you can look up one in Oklahoma. They should cover the nesting habits but I think it would be rare to find anything on knocking the young out of nests.

Hope this helps

Even if eagles don't return to their nests they don't deconstruct them. I've seen the same bald eagle nests go year after year without use. I'm fairly confident question number 1 isn't true.

1. eagles push the eaglets out of the nest and then "catch" them with their wings.
many thanks,

Neither are true!

nirofo.

1. I dont know if it true but cannae think of a reason why they would want to do it!
2. I think it untrue coz I have a book with photos of huuuuuuuuge golden eagle nests that people say have been usin for ten years.

many thanks,

I agree with the first but not the second statement. The eagles acctually remove the comfortable parts of the nest (down/fluff/etc) to expose the thorns to cause discomfort to the eaglets so that discomfort will exceed fear.

I can assure you after more than 30 years of watching Golden Eagles in Scotland and recording their breeding behaviour at and near the eyrie, neither statements are true.

nirofo.

hello,please what is the strenght talons of harpy eagle, bald eagle and eagle owl eurasian ? traduc: Quel est la force des serres de l'harpy feroce , aigle a tete blanche et du grand-duc d'Europe ? MERCI

Hi

I recently heard a lecture given by a birder who was taken to a Harpy Eagles nest in Brazil. Unfortunately the chick had fledged a couple of days earlier (a bit unlucky as they take up to 6 months to get to this stage), and upon arriving at the site there was absolutely no sign that a nest had ever been there. He was shown photographs of the nest and the tree that had been taken only days previously.
He was informed that it was known that Harpy Eagles often remove all evidence of previosly used nest.

Mal

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back