• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick drying walking socks (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi. On longer trips I need to do handwashing to keep in clean clothes. My lightweight artificial fabric clothing dries quickly apart from my socks. The ones that were best at drying quickly were a dirt cheap pair bought years ago in one of the Aldi promotions. I usually wear Karrimor summer hiking socks which are comfortable and cheapish but they really weren't great at drying quickly. Any suggestions appreciated.

I always take enough socks and undergarments to not have to wash. Have you tried Smartwool socks, Merino wool blend socks. EMS, PhD, and other brands? You may find you can wear wool and wool blend socks more than one day, minimizing your washing. Worst socks to bring...cotton.
Synthetic socks dry quickly but may not wick moisture away from your feet and make them sweaty.

I always take enough socks and undergarments to not have to wash. Have you tried Smartwool socks, Merino wool blend socks. EMS, PhD, and other brands? You may find you can wear wool and wool blend socks more than one day, minimizing your washing. Worst socks to bring...cotton.
Synthetic socks dry quickly but may not wick moisture away from your feet and make them sweaty.
My suitcase can't fit 6 weeks worth and I'm not sure any socks would cope with my feet for more than a day, especially in waterproof shoes. I have merino winter socks but will look at summer ones and I've never heard of smartwool but will rectify that now.

Apart from winter or really heavy trekking, I am wearing exclusively Vavrys socks made from Coolmax - it's a Czech company, so I think availability will be bad abroad, but anything similar would probably work. I don't think anything really dries faster than this.

Another vote for Smartwool. They stay decent for more than you think and despite being wool they are easy to wash. A local gear shop always had tons in.

Too concerned about ticks, mosquitos, scorpions and snakes for sandals. I used to wear them but, possibly shortly after being stung by a scorpion, stopped.

Too concerned about ticks, mosquitos, scorpions and snakes for sandals. I used to wear them but, possibly shortly after being stung by a scorpion, stopped.
Regardless of shoe type, ticks usually climb and bite higher. If wearing shorts, not sure sandals vs boots would make much difference for mosquitoes and snakes.

But don't need socks in boots either 🙂

I like Craghoppers Trek Socks (they do a range of socks, but these are the only one's I've tried) - Merino/synthetic blend. Won't dry fully overnight, but 24hrs is fine if you're happy to rotate. In wet weather I tend to wear Dexshell waterproof socks (works better for me than goretex lined trail shoes).

Regardless of shoe type, ticks usually climb and bite higher. If wearing shorts, not sure sandals vs boots would make much difference for mosquitoes and snakes.

But don't need socks in boots either 🙂
You must have tougher feet than me. I certainly do, especially if walking for several hours. I generally no longer wear shorts when birding where there could be ticks or mosquitos.

You must have tougher feet than me. I certainly do, especially if walking for several hours. I generally no longer wear shorts when birding where there could be ticks or mosquitos.
Still be careful with ticks - fully able to access you even with long trousers. I got my encephalitis from a tick bite that clearly got in through trousers and tucked in socks.

Still be careful with ticks - fully able to access you even with long trousers. I got my encephalitis from a tick bite that clearly got in through trousers and tucked in socks.
Trust me I've experienced that: including several located in a particularly sensitive area. I've avoided any serious stuff but I did have one on my back that would flare up at times of stress for over a year after I got it. I think the message about serious illness being spread by ticks took a while to really sink in, especially in the UK, but I am very aware of it now.

From the web. "Ticks hate the smell of lemon, orange, cinnamon, lavender, peppermint, and rose geranium so they'll avoid latching on to anything that smells of those items. Any of these or a combination can be used in DIY sprays or added to almond oil and rubbed on exposed skin"
Put on your shoes, socks and skin under your pants leg.

Another vote for socks made from Cool Max: I've been using ones from Bridgedale for years, often doubled up asI have very bony feet and am very prone to blistering. They dry overnight without any difficulties.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back