• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

quiet summer days (1 Viewer)

Re: back on track

steviewol said:
we seem to have got waylaid

so is it quiet out there or not....?

Yes.... and no!

Kevin, thanks for the clarification. Found it on Amazon but it's unavailable at the moment with a 3-5 week delivery. I reckon you've all leapt in and beat me to it! ;)

Re: back on track

steviewol said:
so is it quiet out there or not....?

Yes .... and no !

Can only talk about my area but ......

Yes it is quiet : as I said before Breydon is very quiet, which isn't too surprising as it's principle numbers are made up of waders and waterfowl ..... which have mostly all migrated. Although there is a family of VERY noisy Oystercatcher right now who's early morning ( 4 am ! ) flightpath is right over the top of my house !

No ...it's not quiet : Heading further inland, beyond Cantley and into Marsh Harrier breeding territory there's plenty going on - obviously some hungry mouths to be fed. Mentioned these in a couple of posts recently - saw 7 in 1 day a couple of weeks ago, then watched one repeatedly gliding over a crow nesting area last week. And had a very interesting couple of hours on Saturday, watching 3 x MH hunting over strumpshaw reedbeds, in particular a female that kept dropping into a Black Headed gull colony. Although I never actually saw a succesful 'catch', not that that mattered really, the interest level was enormous.

Other wildlife : butterflies/ dragonflies / wildflowers ..... too many to take in in 1 day.

So personally, I'm now firmly convinced that in June there aren't enough hours in the day.

Back off track

Just to let you know that the Macmillan book mentioned earlier in the thread is out of print. Amazon is still advertising 3-5 weeks delivery, but an acquaintance at Subbuteo Books tells me that they are not sure yet whether it is being reprinted. the only option is second hand.

I tried the Book Finder site and a search does bring up some results, but I will see if I can get hold of it here first.

off the beaten track....

.....is where you want to be for sure in June, as it is un-doubtedly THE best month for birdwatching, in so many respects.
S

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back