• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quinta do Lago (1 Viewer)

skippo

I am going to Quinta at the end of the month. Does anyone have advice as to where to go and what birds I might see? I know that there are lagoon and estuary sites and would like also to get into the hills above Loule. Any help most welcome - thanks.

I see that you did not receive an answer yet and unfortunately I can not help you out. I am only doing the Alentejo. If interested please let me know.

Bert

Do you have transport? If so, Salgados and Alvor Estuary.
We will be in Albufeira from the 12th Oct and will visit both of these places as well as the Quinta.
Further afield is the Raptor viewpoint near Cap St Vincent and the road to Villa de Bispo

I am going to Quinta at the end of the month. Does anyone have advice as to where to go and what birds I might see? I know that there are lagoon and estuary sites and would like also to get into the hills above Loule. Any help most welcome - thanks.

The free PDF guide may be useful,see here:
http://www.visitalgarve.pt/pressroo...e=guia_observacao_aves_baixa_resolucao_pt.pdf

Quinta do Lago can be great for migrants at that time of the year.
There is a nature trail around the Sao Lourenco Golf course, you can download a map here:
http://www.algarve-portal.com/en/cities/almancil/trail/#

During the season there is a parking fee on the main car park near the bridge (near Ponte do Ancoa). I think that this may be applicable until 30 Sept. Thereafter it is normally free until March.
On the estuary near the bridge you might get black and bar tailed godwit, whimbrel,plovers,shanks and several sandpiper species.
I guess getting towards high tide is best, when the waders are forced to forage higher up the mud flats, near the trail. Though we seldom get the timing right.
On the coastal scrub there's bound to be Sardinian warbler,fan-tailed warbler and even the chance of blue throat.
There is a hide at the golf course main "fresh water" lagoon where purple swamp hen is guaranteed, a pair of little bittern tend to hang out on the left bank of the lagoon but are not always easy to see, egrets are common and there is a possibility of both glossy ibis and spoonbill. Here there are a few pairs of black headed weaver birds and the odd kingfisher darting across the water. Good views of several species of duck and both crested and little grebe can also be had.
Hoopoe and azure winged magpie are common on the golf course where you should also look out for wagtails, chats,pipits and larks.
As you follow the trail through the pines look out for serin,finches,warblers,tits including crested, woodpeckers (Iberian green and great spotted), wryneck are also a possibility on migration . Pied and spotted flies, flit between the branches.
Overhead as you walk the trail look out for kestrel,sparrow hawk,marsh harrier, booted eagle and there's always a possibility of a vulture fly over.

Some practical advice,although they are easy to walk allow a couple of hours if you've never walked these trails before because you may be stopping to look at birds a lot.Take a bite and a drink along with you and avoid trying to eat or drink at the restaurant at the far end of the bridge, as its very expensive.
There is a public loo in the shopping precinct on the right as you drive through the golf village. Snacks and coffee are not too badly priced there.

We will be around during the first two weeks of October.
I'm sure Simon can put me right on a few things, but I hope that this proves of help.
:t:

The free PDF guide may be useful,see here:
http://www.visitalgarve.pt/pressroo...e=guia_observacao_aves_baixa_resolucao_pt.pdf

Quinta do Lago can be great for migrants at that time of the year.
There is a nature trail around the Sao Lourenco Golf course, you can download a map here:
http://www.algarve-portal.com/en/cities/almancil/trail/#

During the season there is a parking fee on the main car park near the bridge (near Ponte do Ancoa). I think that this may be applicable until 30 Sept. Thereafter it is normally free until March.
On the estuary near the bridge you might get black and bar tailed godwit, whimbrel,plovers,shanks and several sandpiper species.
I guess getting towards high tide is best, when the waders are forced to forage higher up the mud flats, near the trail. Though we seldom get the timing right.
On the coastal scrub there's bound to be Sardinian warbler,fan-tailed warbler and even the chance of blue throat.
There is a hide at the golf course main "fresh water" lagoon where purple swamp hen is guaranteed, a pair of little bittern tend to hang out on the left bank of the lagoon but are not always easy to see, egrets are common and there is a possibility of both glossy ibis and spoonbill. Here there are a few pairs of black headed weaver birds and the odd kingfisher darting across the water. Good views of several species of duck and both crested and little grebe can also be had.
Hoopoe and azure winged magpie are common on the golf course where you should also look out for wagtails, chats,pipits and larks.
As you follow the trail through the pines look out for serin,finches,warblers,tits including crested, woodpeckers (Iberian green and great spotted), wryneck are also a possibility on migration . Pied and spotted flies, flit between the branches.
Overhead as you walk the trail look out for kestrel,sparrow hawk,marsh harrier, booted eagle and there's always a possibility of a vulture fly over.

Some practical advice,although they are easy to walk allow a couple of hours if you've never walked these trails before because you may be stopping to look at birds a lot.Take a bite and a drink along with you and avoid trying to eat or drink at the restaurant at the far end of the bridge, as its very expensive.
There is a public loo in the shopping precinct on the right as you drive through the golf village. Snacks and coffee are not too badly priced there.

We will be around during the first two weeks of October.
I'm sure Simon can put me right on a few things, but I hope that this proves of help.
:t:

I've always found Little Bittern really easy from the hide - usually a bit earlier in the year though when I've been.

Nice one Mick - looking forward to seeing you again around Sagres.

The OP Skippo should get to Sagres if possible - about and 1hr15mins drive from Faro.

I've always found Little Bittern really easy from the hide - usually a bit earlier in the year though when I've been.

There are birds present all the year round...autumn is a good time but spend half an hour or so patiently waiting within 100m or so of the hide. I think its better to be outside than in as there will be golfie folk trundling back and forth by the hide anyway. They will be in the Reedmace (the LBs that is ;)) - give them a good careful scan.

With no disrespect the Quinta do Lago area is a bit "pseudo Portugal" - with all those golf courses and 2 million dollar villas - its worth getting out into the really wild areas.

Nice one Mick - looking forward to seeing you again around Sagres.

The OP Skippo should get to Sagres if possible - about and 1hr15mins drive from Faro.

I hope so Simon, we're staying at Espiche again this year.
Last years Griffo migration with you was unforgettable.
Cheers
Mick & Tina
B :)B :)

Thank you all for these ideas - really grateful. We do have transport and might go west but perhaps not as far as Sagres. I have looked at the very useful aves de portugal guide (thanks Pedro and Mick) and fancy the Fonte da Benemola. I am sure that someone has been - would you recommend it this time of year? Please remember that I am not an expert!! Thanks again all

.....might go west but perhaps not as far as Sagres.

Big mistake ;) its a birding mecca at the time you coming, THE area to be in - if I was visiting I'd be there as much as possible - for the migrants seen up to now this autumn see: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=266202 and of course the bird festival website :http://birdwatchingsagres.com/en/programme/

...... and fancy the Fonte da Benemola

IMO a waste of time if you want to see birds - very limited especially outside the breeding season. For inland birding follow Pedro's links. There are much more scenic areas further inland in the Algarve and Baixo Alentejo.

Just to let anyone interested know, I did get to Cape St Vincent, met Simon and with his help and others saw gannets, balearic and Cory's shearwaters, pomerine skua, sandwich terns and a med gull). Worth the trip - too cloudy to see raptors sadly. Back at Quinta do Lago saw spoonbill, egrets, flamingo, white stork, little bittern, purple swamphen, reed warbler, kentish, grey and ringed plover, turnstone, redshank, common sandpiper, curlew, hoopoe, greenshank, sardinian warblers, bar-tailed godwit,glossy ibis, gadwall, little grebe, pied and spotted flycatcher, blackcap, zitting cisticola, pochard, crested tit. Overall close to 50 species - well pleased and thanks again for the help.

Just to let anyone interested know, I did get to Cape St Vincent, met Simon and with his help and others saw gannets, balearic and Cory's shearwaters, pomerine skua, sandwich terns and a med gull). Worth the trip - too cloudy to see raptors sadly. Back at Quinta do Lago saw spoonbill, egrets, flamingo, white stork, little bittern, purple swamphen, reed warbler, kentish, grey and ringed plover, turnstone, redshank, common sandpiper, curlew, hoopoe, greenshank, sardinian warblers, bar-tailed godwit,glossy ibis, gadwall, little grebe, pied and spotted flycatcher, blackcap, zitting cisticola, pochard, crested tit. Overall close to 50 species - well pleased and thanks again for the help.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable trip skippo.
How high was the vegetation around the lake at Quinta do Lago, last time I was there you had a job to see over the top of it from the path.

Yes I was really chuffed with what I saw. The vegetation is pretty high, but you can still see over from the path in places - I guess it is over six feet but only five or so above the level of the path in several places. The hide is useful of course.

Yes I was really chuffed with what I saw. The vegetation is pretty high, but you can still see over from the path in places - I guess it is over six feet but only five or so above the level of the path in several places. The hide is useful of course.

Many thanks for the info

John

Sounds like you had an enjoyable trip skippo.
How high was the vegetation around the lake at Quinta do Lago, last time I was there you had a job to see over the top of it from the path.

Just back and it appears they trimmed it with a 'lawnmower'. ;)

You could see birds right on the bank. It was the first time we failed to see Little Bittern but we only went once this time. Furthermore, I felt Quinta do Lago was rather lacking in wildfowl variety this winter with other places seeming to be business as usual (apart from Salgados of course). Ever reliable for Hoopoe though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back