• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quinta Roo (Cancun) Guide Recommendations (1 Viewer)

lgonz1008

United States
My family just dropped on my lap that they wanted to do a trip to Cancun for the 4th of July weekend and all I heard was Mexican/Yucatan endemics. But since I'll only have 2, maybe 3, days of actual birding, I want to make the most out of it, so I need a guide for the region.

Anyone got a good local guide that they can recommend? My main goal is to get as many specialties as possible, even trying to get the Cozumel endemics but not the main priority, so I want a good guide that will be able to pick me up from the hotel and show me the birds before dropping me back. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

We went down there in September to do a "mop-up" trip - it included taking the ferry to Cozumel. We used the birding guides with Contoy Excursions:

They were very good. Not the greatest we've had, but they cannot all be in the top 1%. They knew where to go for the specialties we wanted. That included going up north for Mexican Sheartail and Yucatan Wren. They got us several tough woodceepers that I was not optimistic about. If you give them a list of targets, like I did, they will devise a good route and plan. I can recommend them, though some of the lodging was not as nice as I would have liked. That was my only (very minor) complaint.

You can read my trip report here: https://legallyblindbirding.net/2020/09/20/quintana-roo-yucatan-september-2020/

We went down there in September to do a "mop-up" trip - it included taking the ferry to Cozumel. We used the birding guides with Contoy Excursions:

They were very good. Not the greatest we've had, but they cannot all be in the top 1%. They knew where to go for the specialties we wanted. That included going up north for Mexican Sheartail and Yucatan Wren. They got us several tough woodceepers that I was not optimistic about. If you give them a list of targets, like I did, they will devise a good route and plan. I can recommend them, though some of the lodging was not as nice as I would have liked. That was my only (very minor) complaint.

You can read my trip report here: https://legallyblindbirding.net/2020/09/20/quintana-roo-yucatan-september-2020/
I read your trip report, it helped me find a good plan, plus it let me read a number of your other trip reports (really glad to finally read a solid review/experience of birding with Brazil Birding Experts).

If you still need that White-crowned Pigeon, let me know, I know a few places in Miami that you can find them without much effort!

Can't help on the Yucatan, but just a note on Brazil Birding Experts - I really don't think you can do better for the Atlantic Forest and most of NE, E, and S Brazil. It's really the dream team of experts for that region. I generally don't hire guides but if I were going to I wouldn't think twice.

Can't help on the Yucatan, but just a note on Brazil Birding Experts - I really don't think you can do better for the Atlantic Forest and most of NE, E, and S Brazil. It's really the dream team of experts for that region. I generally don't hire guides but if I were going to I wouldn't think twice.
That's really good to hear, after my trip to Ecuador, my next 2 week trip planned will be either Australia or Brazil, so it's nice to know this company will be the best match for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back