• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quiz Bird - Pacifica, California, USA (1 Viewer)

I am not seeing as much spotting below as I would expect, but all I can think of is a Swainson's Thrush.

Excellent! The spotting can be hard to see or almost obsolete.
It seems like some of the birds breeding directly on the coast here might be a different subspecies than the birds a little inland. At least at the outer point the birds breeding there look very rufous with little spotting, almost like Veerys.

This species may be separated into two groups, Olive-backed Thrush in the north and east and Russet-backed Thrush in the far west. This is an example of the Russet-backed group (presumably C. u. oedicus) characterized by more russet upperparts, smaller fainter breast spots and more buffy flanks. These birds are somewhat grayer than nominate birds which range further north. However the dividing line between oedicus and ustulatus is rather murky and Point Reyes birds have characters suggesting nominate. But a word of caution. We usually see these birds in deep shade, but if they come out into sunlight, they look much redder than we might be expecting. And yes, they are frequently confused with Veery especially when encountered by people from the East who have a very different impression of what Swainson's should look like.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back