• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R7 ideas for birds in flight and in low light situations (1 Viewer)

kwikstaart

I have my R7 with RF 100-400 now for about 5 weeks and every owner will confirm that it's a bargain in terms of AF, picture quality, battery life, weight, ease of use etc. Most of the pictures I see on BF are excellent but .... they should be: individual birds closer by, bigger raptors in flight.
Even after viewing as much as possible settings- video's on YT I still have troubles to make sharp pictures of smaller birds in flight, BIF against busy background and small birds in darker woods.
Although I am very happy with my combo and it's a real step up from the 7D2 I hope others have better experiences and suggestions.
I know the mentioned troubles are the more difficult situations but myself and 2 other owners I know just think it should perform a little better.

Last edited:
Hi, I have the R7 with the 100-500mm. I have experimented a lot with settings to get the most out of the camera, and this is what works best for me at the moment:

I have set up back button focus and have split the AF into three cases:

- the AF-ON button is assigned to servo AF with tracking on and animal detection on, but eye detection off. A user of the Fred Miranda forum advised to turn off eye detection for far away bif as it uses more unnecessary processing power and he had more keepers this way. I use full zone and the smallest zone rectangle, depending on the kind of bif (small zone for far away birds; I point the rectangle on the bif and wait until the white tracking square picks it up. Full zone for small erratic bif like swallows)

- the *- button is assigned to servo AF with spot focus, tracking off, animal detection off, eye detection off. This is for small birds in trees etc.

- the DOF-button (on the front of the camera) is assigned to eye AF, I only use it when the birds are close enough for the system to detect the eyes.

I also use electronic full-time manual focus to prefocus on a distant bird/bif so that the system can pick it up more easily.

I set lens drive when AF is impossible to off, so that when the system loses track of a distant bif it does not throw the lens completely out of focus. In this way you still have a chance to follow the bird and adjust the focus manually if it is too far away to be picked up by the AF system.

Hope this helps

Hi, I have the R7 with the 100-500mm. I have experimented a lot with settings to get the most out of the camera, and this is what works best for me at the moment:

I have set up back button focus and have split the AF into three cases:

- the AF-ON button is assigned to servo AF with tracking on and animal detection on, but eye detection off. A user of the Fred Miranda forum advised to turn off eye detection for far away bif as it uses more unnecessary processing power and he had more keepers this way. I use full zone and the smallest zone rectangle, depending on the kind of bif (small zone for far away birds; I point the rectangle on the bif and wait until the white tracking square picks it up. Full zone for small erratic bif like swallows)

- the *- button is assigned to servo AF with spot focus, tracking off, animal detection off, eye detection off. This is for small birds in trees etc.

- the DOF-button (on the front of the camera) is assigned to eye AF, I only use it when the birds are close enough for the system to detect the eyes.

I also use electronic full-time manual focus to prefocus on a distant bird/bif so that the system can pick it up more easily.

I set lens drive when AF is impossible to off, so that when the system loses track of a distant bif it does not throw the lens completely out of focus. In this way you still have a chance to follow the bird and adjust the focus manually if it is too far away to be picked up by the AF system.

Hope this helps
Wow, a lot to try! Thanks a lot!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back