• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

R7 - Shipping Notice vs Backorder - first impressions from the lucky few (2 Viewers)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
A silly question !
Why are r5 owners buying r7 cameras.
Inferior quality all round and very little additional length .
As backups ?
I dont know about the "very little addition length" to get the same pixel density and same FOV with a full frame Camera you would need 82 mp so almost double that of the R5 e.g. 32.5 mp x 2.56 = 83mp

Last edited:

Maryarena

Puerto Rico
At last I had a mini outing today with the Canon R7 and the RF 100-400! I was totally lost and blacked out in the beginning! It's a big change from the 7DII to mirrorless and so many new settings and buttons! The focus on this camera was awesome! I am using Wild Alaska settings for now which are great, but I still have to get used to getting to those buttons. I was lucky to have an American Kestrel posing on a fence. I am posting the Original with LR minimal changes and crop and a second with distractions removed and minimal Topaz Denoise. Glad Canon finally offers a camera that is not so expensive with so many features, is light and I can use with my EF 100-400 II too. I still have not tried any of my EF Lenses. Hope that all that have not received theirs, receive them soon!
Gloria

Attachments

• American Kestrel LR Original Crop-0185.jpg
    American Kestrel LR Original Crop-0185.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 58
  • American Kestrel PS Original Crop-.jpg
    American Kestrel PS Original Crop-.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 55

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
One of the reason I switched to the R7 from the 7d2 (which I still have) was the extra crop-ability as I am often focal length limited on the local river. This Greenfinch is an extremely heavy crop (almost 100%) from the R7 (and adapted 100-400 MkII). It stands up very well IMHO.

Attachments

• AI greenie up close R.jpg
    AI greenie up close R.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Steve Arlow

United Kingdom
has anyone tried the R7 with 100-400mm mkii (EF) and a 1.4x mkiii extender yet?
I'm waiting on the R7 but likely to be some weeks before I can give it try so was wondering what the results are like with the extender ?

Maryarena

Puerto Rico
One of the reason I switched to the R7 from the 7d2 (which I still have) was the extra crop-ability as I am often focal length limited on the local river. This Greenfinch is an extremely heavy crop from the R7 (and adapted 100-400 MkII). It stands up very well IMHO.
Very nice!! I noticed the difference yesterday when I cropped my Kestrel. I have to try my EF 100-400 II. I do love how light the load is with the RF. Have yet to try it in lower light forest hike.

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
has anyone tried the R7 with 100-400mm mkii (EF) and a 1.4x mkiii extender yet?
I'm waiting on the R7 but likely to be some weeks before I can give it try so was wondering what the results are like with the extender ?
Yes I have tried the 100-400 MkII with the 1.4x EF MkII (not MkIII) extender and it works great, far better than on the 7d2 IMO. AF is fast and IQ is fine.

Steve Arlow

United Kingdom
Excellent Roy, good to know IQ is good with the 7Dmkii with the extenders.
Moving from 100-400mm mkii with 7Dmkii as my mobile walk around kit, sadly sold my 1DX to get the R7, loved that camera so hoping this will be even better than that beast.

Barred Wobbler

I just checked my emails. Imagine my excitement when I saw the top one. An email from WEX. 'Important information regarding your order'.

'It's in! They are wanting payment authorised' was my immediate reaction.

I opened it.

'Firstly we would like to thank you for your recent order. As you may have heard there is a global shortage of essential components required for the Canon EOS R7 Digital Camera. While this has inevitably slowed the availability of stock, we would like to reassure you that we will contact you the minute we have received stock into our warehouse and allocated it to your order.'

Deflated doesn't begin to describe the feeling. Ordered at 10am on the first day of the announcement in May. At this rate I'll be lucky if it's with me for my migration trip to Tarifa at the end of August. It's the R5 all over again. Ordered in August, I got that in the dark days just before Christmas 2020.

Maryarena

Puerto Rico
I just checked my emails. Imagine my excitement when I saw the top one. An email from WEX. 'Important information regarding your order'.

'It's in! They are wanting payment authorised' was my immediate reaction.

I opened it.

'Firstly we would like to thank you for your recent order. As you may have heard there is a global shortage of essential components required for the Canon EOS R7 Digital Camera. While this has inevitably slowed the availability of stock, we would like to reassure you that we will contact you the minute we have received stock into our warehouse and allocated it to your order.'

Deflated doesn't begin to describe the feeling. Ordered at 10am on the first day of the announcement in May. At this rate I'll be lucky if it's with me for my migration trip to Tarifa at the end of August. It's the R5 all over again. Ordered in August, I got that in the dark days just before Christmas 2020.
Oh wow, that surely is frustrating! Keep trying at smaller camera shops. You never know what can happen. Maybe HEX will call sooner than expected. I had my order with B & H and they even had charged me. I had no information of when it would arrive. I remembered I had bought my 7D with Berger Bros and reached out to them. I had my camera about two weeks later. I would still be waiting for B & H. What times we are living.

Farnboro John

Originally I had shutter speed on the vertical wheel and exposure compensation on the top deck wheel. I've swapped them over and the revised version is more intuitive.

John

connorco

United States
Some photos from the past few days

Attachments

• BTBW-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    BTBW-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 44
  • RBNU-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    RBNU-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    13.2 MB · Views: 45
  • FOSP-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    FOSP-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 44
  • COFL-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    COFL-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 45
  • STJA-2-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    STJA-2-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    12.2 MB · Views: 44
  • GRCA-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    GRCA-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    11.8 MB · Views: 45

ApusApus

I had a look online and E-infinity have them in stock also the adapter so ordered one yesterday and it is being shipped today
Likewise, ordered yesterday and will be delivered next week but minus the battery which for some reason is on DHL's restricted list for delivery to Cyprus!

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread