• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ramón Urbano's Musician Wren (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

... earlier a k a "Calalp"
Curious by Melanie's recent Post (here) I took a quick look at:

urbanoi as in the:
• subspecies Cyphorhinus arada urbanoi ZIMMER & PHELPS 1946 (OD unseen, by me) ...

Today's HBW Alive Key explain this Eponym as:
urbanoi
Ramón Urbano (b. 1917) Venezuelan collector for the Phelpses (syn. Cyphorhinus arada).
I guess (!), without knowing Spanish, that we´re dealing with this Ramón Urbano (here): Ramón Antonio Urbano (1917–1986) a k a “El Hombre Pájaro” ("The Bird Man").

Born 8 August 1917, in San Pablo, Estado Yaracuy ... and died 3 June 1986, in Caracas, Venezuela.

If "his" bird is valid or not? That´s beyond my grasp.

However; enjoy!

Björn

Björn Bergenholtz

... earlier a k a "Calalp"
• "Leucolepis arada faroensis" ZIMMER & PHELPS, 1946, (here, on p.19): "TYPE: From Faro (Castanhal), Rio Jamundá, north bank of the Amazon River, Brazil."

Not to confuse with "S. [Sturnus] faroensis" FEILDEN 1872 (here, in text, see PS.), from the "Færoe Islands" ;)

Neither with Brehm's "Somateria Færœensis", nor his "Hydrobates Færœensis" (both 1831), of the same Northern origin.

James Jobling

Key MS has:

faeroeensis / faeroensis
Færoe or Faroe Is. (Danish Færøerne), North Atlantic Ocean.

faroeensis
Færoe Is.

faroensis
• Faro, Rio Jamundá / Rio Nhamundá, Pará, Brazil (syn. Cyphorhinus arada).
• Færoe Is. (subsp. Sturnus vulgaris).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread