• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rana frogs ID (Czechia/Poland) (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
After much hesitation, we decided to plunge forward and ID our herps. We got a nice book for Amphibians and Reptiles Europe (I think on Andy's advice) - Speybroeck et. al. and it has been a huge fun learning the ID method fun and discovering that we have actually already randomly met so many of the species.

However, "true frogs" are a nightmare. I have gotten to a point when I can mostly recognize "brown" (Rana) from "green" (Pelophylax). As I understood ID within the later group is quite difficult, especially when you don't actually posses the frog itself and I think we will probably just do the ones that have separate ranges and won't care about the rest (even moreso because some of the "species" are actually stable hybrid populations).

But the brown ones (Rana) could be IDable from pictures - or so I am told, but I can't really grasp what is a "sharp snout" and similar subtle differences. I am thus presenting 10 selected Rana frogs from Poland and Czech Republic - the possible species are Common, Moor and sometimes maybe Agile Frog - if someone asks, I can try to provide specific locations for individuals.

Any help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• 01-IMG_4328.JPG
    01-IMG_4328.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 02-IMG_7290.JPG
    02-IMG_7290.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 03-IMG_8028.JPG
    03-IMG_8028.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 04-fMG_6299.JPG
    04-fMG_6299.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 05-IMG_7679.JPG
    05-IMG_7679.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 17
More frogs!

Attachments

• 06-IMG_8271.JPG
    06-IMG_8271.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 07-mMG_2414.JPG
    07-mMG_2414.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 08-IMG_8062.JPG
    08-IMG_8062.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 09-mMG_2428.JPG
    09-mMG_2428.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 10-DSCN0295.JPG
    10-DSCN0295.JPG
    431.4 KB · Views: 17
Moor Frog is easy during breeding when the males go blue / grey but generally, I find this group, impossible!

Attachments

• Moor Frog.jpg
    Moor Frog.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 10
Moor Frog is easy during breeding when the males go blue / grey but generally, I find this group, impossible!

Some of my pictures have a blueish hue, but my book says that Common Frog can have "a blue tint" as well, so I still dunno. Maybe I really need such a cleanly blue one as on your picture, probably a question of timing?

The problem is that I have had several people told me "no, it's not impossible" but none of those was ever willing to actually yell me which one is which :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back