• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rapidly 'flapping' raptor(?) in Seville, Spain (1 Viewer)

kingfisher7

I've just come back from a trip to Seville in Southern Spain, and saw this large bird flying high over the city. I managed to get a mobile phone video and have zoomed in on some of the frames to get a better look at the shape of the bird (apologies for the terrible quality!). As seen in the video (sorry if it doesn't work), the bird was flapping its wings rapidly (at least every second), with no gliding/soaring that I could see for the 10 seconds I saw it.

I'm thinking it could be a vulture (perhaps a Griffon, but the relatively long neck doesn't look right, and I'm not sure they would 'flap' their wings that rapidly?). Otherwise, could be an eagle of some sort? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Here is a link to the video since it doesn't seem to be working for some people: https://youtu.be/bOsxg2VvhiE

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 153
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 107
  • seville.wmv
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I don't think it is a raptor at all. My first thought based on the two photos was that it might be a Little Bustard, but the video makes me doubt that as the wing action looks to be too slow.

So dunno.

Steve

PS Just seen Ken's ideas - certainly not a Black Stork as the shape is all wrong.

Same problem with the video for me, my first thought was a Pelican sp but I see no white underwing and S Spain doesn’t have them I believe.

Thanks for all your replies, I agree that a raptor doesn't fit. I hadn't considered a bustard or a heron, but both seem plausible. I've edited the initial post to include a link to the video, which should allow everyone to view it. Here it is again: https://youtu.be/bOsxg2VvhiE.

Thanks very much!

Having just seen the video clip, I’ll readily withdraw my earlier suggestions. Believe that the wingbeats are too fast for GB or BS, a smaller candidate ie Night Heron as previously suggested might well be more appropriate.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back