• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Raptor ID Central France (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Hello I took these photographs yesterday in Jaunoux Central France, I only had a brief view of the bird as it took off and flew away from me. The bird was about 100 mtrs away. Good luck not a lot to go on I would say the colour of the Raptor is correct Silver/Grey.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN1670.jpg
    DSCN1670.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 87
  • DSCN1671.jpg
    DSCN1671.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • DSCN1672.jpg
    DSCN1672.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
  • DSCN1673.jpg
    DSCN1673.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 85

Alexander Stöhr

Hello,
yes I can make this bird into a Goshawk, too. But is this a confident identification? No, but maybe others can.
I think/am quite sure, the blackish/very dark wingtips of a Common Buzzard would be visible here. And I wouldnt describe (pale) grey CB as silver (=metallic sheen)

Edit: yes, this bird is unIDable for me with confidence, but as said, maybe others with more experience can.

Hauksen

Forum member
Hello I took these photographs yesterday in Jaunoux Central France, I only had a brief view of the bird as it took off and flew away from me. The bird was about 100 mtrs away. Good luck not a lot to go on I would say the colour of the Raptor is correct Silver/Grey.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Well, personally I'd confidently rule out Common Buzzard and Kestrel at least.

Looking at the right wingtip in DSC1672, that seems consistent with a Goshawk or a Sparrowhawk.

However, I wouldn't dare to be confident in any positive identification I might attempt.

Regards,

Henning

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
I think its a Gos but hard to be 100%. Wings look too long for Spar and it looks well built but really accipiter sp is probably where to draw the line.

Biancone

to err is human
I'd go for one of the resident accipiters also, but which? Plausibly Gos but the trunk perhaps not bulky enough. If you had a few seconds video...!

Mike Beer

Thanks for all the comments I agree there is not enough for a positive identification, if it was a Goshawk it would have been a new bird for me. I will try harder next time.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread