• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor Id help, Guangxi China, August (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

Hey all! Any help on this ID would be much appreciated. I'm thinking it is a Black Kite but am very new at this. The light primaries and light head pointed me towards this guess but the wingtips look a little funny to me.

Sorry about the picture quality.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 71
Far from an expert and can't really make out any feather patterns on the tail but might Pernis ptilorhynchus fit?

Edit: KenM beat me to it.

Far from an expert and can't really make out any feather patterns on the tail but might Pernis ptilorhynchus fit?

Edit: KenM beat me to it.

Wasn't sure why you guys went for that one, apart perhaps from the long tail. The big bulgy wings and overall shape made me wonder about a hawk eagle. Without going through the possibilities systematically I thought the baza reasonable too, shape-wise.

Can Jerdon’s Baza be ruled out here?

just coming back to this having checked range (which was my main concern earlier) this part of Southern China is within range I believe for JB although I imagine they may not be well documented.

I can see anything to rule out JB on structure here - paddle shaped wings, (bulging secondaries and inner primaries) small head and very full tail. Obviously the wing shape is difficult to judge due to primary moult and little can be determined of plumage. However the dark bars on the outer primaries with very obvious translucent bases to the outer primaries also point to this species imo.

(I can’t see OHB on structure - the hands are too broad and the trailing edge of the wing has the wrong shape for OHB imo)

JB
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=855&Bird_Image_ID=35605

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=855&Bird_Image_ID=35604

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=855&Bird_Image_ID=26697&Bird_Family_ID=

Deb, it's been a few years since I last saw Jerdon's Baza, but for what is worth I think you're right. Proportions and visible pattern are good and the last photo you posted shows a very similar bird indeed.

I also thought Jerdon's Baza on seeing these photos. The very broad, rounded wings with pinched base and large tail look good for this species. Mountain Hawk Eagle is similar in shape, but I would expect it to look much bulkier (larger bodied) than this bird.

Jerdon's Baza does occur in Guangxi (I have seen it there) and there have been a few counts from raptor migration watchpoints in recent yeras, but is not an easy bird to see, so this would be a good record.

I can see anything to rule out JB on structure here - paddle shaped wings, (bulging secondaries and inner primaries) small head and very full tail. Obviously the wing shape is difficult to judge due to primary moult and little can be determined of plumage. However the dark bars on the outer primaries with very obvious translucent bases to the outer primaries also point to this species imo.

(I can’t see OHB on structure - the hands are too broad and the trailing edge of the wing has the wrong shape for OHB imo)

Thanks Deb! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge! I have attached another picture that shows a little more detail in the tail. I'm not sure if it will be helpful or not. Thanks so much for taking the time to help out a newbie!

Brian

Attachments

• image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Thanks for your input, John. I hope to get back to Guangxi in October or November when it is much better birding. Hopefully I can get a better camera to help with some of these ids.

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Deb! I have attached another picture that shows a little more detail in the tail. I'm not sure if it will be helpful or not.

Brian

Hi Brian - Thank you - shows better the outer primary pattern (widely spaced black bars) and tail pattern consistent with JB.

With Rafael and John concurring, (both of whom have more experience than I do!) I think we’re fairly safe with the ID here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back