raptor ID - Norfolk, UK (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
probably being a bit dense here but wondered what people thought of this raptor... apologies for the image quality - distant grab shots so very heavily cropped!

Attachments

• IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 214

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to give a bit more detail on this - it was seen near Welney WWT - I was heading home (had left it a bit late so needed to get back as my kids were due to go out) when I saw a raptor over one of the fields. It was hovering so I was assuming buzzard but then caught a flash of white rump so started wondering. Grabbed these shots as it flew away but didn't have time to head back in the direction it was going to check it. Wasn't convinced that the photos showed enough to confirm the ID so wondered what others would think. I wasn't sure if hovering was ok for rough legged but just looked in Collins and it says that they do it more than commons do...

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
Just to give a bit more detail on this - it was seen near Welney WWT - I was heading home (had left it a bit late so needed to get back as my kids were due to go out) when I saw a raptor over one of the fields. It was hovering so I was assuming buzzard but then caught a flash of white rump so started wondering. Grabbed these shots as it flew away but didn't have time to head back in the direction it was going to check it. Wasn't convinced that the photos showed enough to confirm the ID so wondered what others would think. I wasn't sure if hovering was ok for rough legged but just looked in Collins and it says that they do it more than commons do...

RLB reported yesterday one mile north of Welney WWT west of road at 3.54pm.

The Snapper

Wasn't convinced that the photos showed enough to confirm the ID so wondered what others would think. I wasn't sure if hovering was ok for rough legged but just looked in Collins and it says that they do it more than commons do...

Well the photos certainly show the whitish rump and tail with dark terminal band, paler head and breast contrasting with dark belly shield, and dark isolated carpal patches on the underwing.

Nice bird :t:

Users who are viewing this thread