• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID - Ottawa, ON (1 Viewer)

Gillian_M

Birding since 2006!
I saw this bird sitting on a beaver lodge a week ago here in Ottawa. I didn't have my scope which would have been really useful in this situation given the distance. I tentatively ID'ed it as a juv. Peregrine Falcon at the time. Can anyone confirm or correct this? Interestingly, a smaller falcon was also in the area behind it - at least when it flew I could confidently ID that one as a falcon!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Beaver Trail 1033 (2).jpg
    Beaver Trail 1033 (2).jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Beaver Trail 1036 (2).jpg
    Beaver Trail 1036 (2).jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Beaver Trail 1042 (2).jpg
    Beaver Trail 1042 (2).jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Beaver Trail 1044 (2).jpg
    Beaver Trail 1044 (2).jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Beaver Trail 1045 (2).jpg
    Beaver Trail 1045 (2).jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 45
Looks good for a dark Taiga Merlin. Note the tail pattern in the last two pics. Peregrine would have a stronger moustache, more pronounced "helmet", and narrower tail bands.

Best,
Jim

Based on the tail pattern, and the face, I would call this a young Merlin. The banding on the tail is indicative of Merlin, and young Merlin has a less distinct "mustache" than the adult's, which could explain why it's not showing well in the photos.

(Peregrine's tail never has wide black bands like this.)

Interestingly, a smaller falcon was also in the area behind it - at least when it flew I could confidently ID that one as a falcon!

Thanks!

If this is a female (can't tell, but it could be), the smaller falcon you saw could have been a male of the same species (there's quite a bit of difference between the sexes). Or perhaps you saw a young Kestrel - I have, on rare occasion, seen Kestrels harassing Merlins before. (Seems a foolhardy thing to do, but there you are.)

Peter C.

Thanks for your comments. From a distance the bird seemed much larger than a merlin, which is why I immediately settled on Peregrine (after ruling out harrier, accipiter, etc.). The facial markings didn't seem quite right, however, which is why I doubted myself. I just wasn't sure given the strong sunlight and the distance.

The other falcon wasn't harrassing it. It was sitting on a branch, then would fly down to the ground and come back up and sit on the branch again for a while. Then it flew around again. I wasn't sure if it was actually smaller or if being further away it just seemed smaller. Just goes to show how tricky it is to judge size at a distance!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back