• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor identification - Northwest Turkey (1 Viewer)

cduruk

Turkey
Can you help me identify these raptors. There were two of them, soaring together. Photos can be of the same bird, or one for each, I cannot tell now. I think they look like common buzzards, but: i) they were soaring very high, not a height that I am used to see the common buzzards ii) ground altitude of the location is around 200m, common buzzards in the area do not come this low in mid-summer, as far as I know. [July 2021, Northwest Turkey].

Attachments

• IMG_3974-crop.JPG
    IMG_3974-crop.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3975-crop.JPG
    IMG_3975-crop.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 93
1 could be Juvenile Long Legged Buzzard, or bleached juv CB, but 2 looks more Common Buzard like with black trailing edges to tail and wings

Dear all,
Many thanks for your contributions. I am now classifying this as a common buzzard, bearing in mind the possibility of the long-legged buzzard. May be future sightings in the area will back one of the alternatives.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back