• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor in Southeast Louisiana (1 Viewer)

Jon K.

Second hand report.

My sister has seen this bird a couple of times, both times working on roadkill. First sighting November or so. Last sighting today, when she got this photo.

Northeast of Baton Rouge about 50 miles.

She describes it as "bigger than a crow, smaller than a vulture".

Poor photo, but I wanted to post it up, see what you sages thought.

Attachments

• Resized_20210124_110934_2374_20210125_081052~3.jpeg
    Resized_20210124_110934_2374_20210125_081052~3.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 157
The bird almost looks leucistic, but the description of it eating roadkill should discourage against a harrier. Body shape looks OK for perhaps a Red-tailed Hawk, but I could make it all sorts of things with this photo.

Thank you Fern.

We certainly have Northern Harriers, it is one of my favorites. Soaring a few feet off of the broom sage . . .

I would like to see some color across the back of the wings though. But of course I will not discount the suggestion.

My sister is familiar with the harrier as well. She has lived (in the woods) in the area for 65 years and relates that this bird is completely unlike anything she has seen. "a big white eagle" is how she described it. Of course, I called BS. So this time she stopped and turned around to get this shot.

And I am puzzled . . .

The bird almost looks leucistic, but the description of it eating roadkill should discourage against a harrier. Body shape looks OK for perhaps a Red-tailed Hawk, but I could make it all sorts of things with this photo.
Agree it looks like a leucistic bird. I don't see a harrier here but the quality of the photo isn't great. Perhaps Red-tailed Hawk as you suggest but not sure from this.

I will say that I like the suggestion of a leucistic bird. I will try to get out there (not too far, about 25 miles from me) and see it better, maybe (unlikely) get a better photo.

Also, I have an outdoorsy friend that lives RIGHT THERE and I am trying to make contact, see if he has seen the bird.

I have never seen a leucistic anything, so this is intriguing.

Gut feeling says Buteo Hawk of some type, with Red-tail being more likely than alternatives?
Niels

Sadly, I was able to verify that this was indeed a leucistic red tailed hawk. 😒

Before I could even get over to try to see it, I got the call today that it had been hit on the road.
I hustled over to the scene and sure enough, it was quite dead in the center of the highway, it had again been after roadkill.

I have a couple photos, but they are quite grim, and I hesitate to put them up.

Before I could even get over to try to see it, I got the call today that it had been hit on the road.
I hustled over to the scene and sure enough, it was quite dead in the center of the highway, it had again been after roadkill.
Sorry to hear that Jon.

Leucism in birds results in weakened feather condition, when it is largely the whole plumage, it can effect the ability of a bird to stay warm and also the flight. The chances of the bird not surviving were higher than normal unfortunately.

(I personally don’t need to see images of road kill - I don’t think the identity is in doubt πŸ˜‰)

Sadly, I was able to verify that this was indeed a leucistic red tailed hawk. 😒

I have a couple photos, but they are quite grim, and I hesitate to put them up.

So very sorry to hear this Jon!

A bit of an update.

I was reticent to say any more about this until I had collected the paperwork.

After working with the Louisiana Department of Wildlife, the Louisiana State Parks and the US Dept it the Interior, I have the documentation to taxidermy this bird for display at the Nature Center of Fontainbleau State Park in Mandeville Louisiana.

Six months of red tape, but we got 'er done.

The bird is at the taxidermist now, and in about another year and $600 later I should have a nice photo to post up.

It would have been SO EASY (and legally proper) to leave it right there in the road, but I couldn't bear to discard such a magnificent specimen.

We got an exemption from the permit. The State Parks have this already on file, though of course no one at lower levels knows this and I had to go through three State Parks and several layers at Fontainbleau to find an interpretive Ranger that had the inclination to pursue this for MONTHS.

Frankly, I could find no one that had any appreciation for how SPECIAL this bird is.

Finally we got a specific "Golden Ticket" from the Dept of Interior and we're able to proceed.

Another miracle is that the bird had not been ground to mush. It was in the center of Louisiana State Hwy 10, a major highway that crosses the entire state. It took me an hour to get to the bird, and no telling how long it had been there before I got the report. The head was damaged. No other damage. A miracle. The taxidermist says he can get a replacement foam RTH head and can piece it back together.

So stay tuned. πŸ™‚

A nearly two year project, cutting through layers of red tape, dealing with multiple layers of red tape, Hurricane Ida, COVID, three state parks, two taxidermists, all the way up to the Department of the Interior. As Charlie Brown might say "Good Grief!!"

But I got the bird back from taxidermy. πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

A couple of photos.

IMG_20221118_134218002~2.jpgIMG_20221118_133007045~2.jpgIMG_20221118_133002027~2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back