• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Raptor in Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please can anyone help with the id of the attached bird. The photo was sent to me by a friend in Sri Lanka, who went on a trip to the north of that country recently, and took some bird photos.

001.jpg

THE_FERN

I think this came up recently. I'm perhaps not alone in being confused...

...Various country checklists suggest Sri Lanka has recorded all of Himalayan, Eastern and common (steppe) buzzard. Ebird suggests only the last should be there (although in typically unhelpful fashion one of the pages for these is labelled "common" when it clearly isn't iirc).

From recent threads, distinguishing between these is a complete nightmare even if you manage to agree on the taxonomy. This one's quite rufous which I guess points to steppe..?

Is there any clarity?

Earnest lad

Dear both
I do appreciate your answers. To know it is one of the Buzzard superspecies complex is sufficient for me. I appreciate distinghishing would be so hard, especially if one has just a single photo of the front of the bird

Users who are viewing this thread