• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor; Sucumbios, Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Livetowander

I caught sight of this raptor soaring a couple of weeks ago while staying at one of the Amazon lodges that line the Napo river in Ecuador. Please help with identification. Thank you.

P1830954.JPG

P1830955.JPG

P1830949.JPG

P1830953.JPG

Suggest female or immature cinereous harrier. "Owl" face visible in some, barred tail, flight feathers, white upper tail base

Only looking on a phone but the white looks to be flared undertail coverts (?), and shape and details I can see are highly reminiscent of Double-toothed Kite, which also fits the habitat / area given

I agree with exilipes, the photos make it possible to conclusively identify this as Double-toothed Kite, in addition to the flared undertail coverts and structure that fit this species, the plumage pattern of rufous underparts and gray head can also be seen in the photos

Double-toothed kites were definitely in the area and yes, those under-tail coverts were flared.

Just to be sure, I'll also look up the harrier.

Thank you all! 😊

Double-toothed kites were definitely in the area and yes, those under-tail coverts were flared.

Just to be sure, I'll also look up the harrier.

Thank you all! 😊

I had another look on a proper screen. Afaik the harrier is possible but I agree this is double-toothed kite

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back