• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor, today, near the Clyde, Scotland (1 Viewer)

vilbs

Sorry for my mother in law's poor pic. I know they get a lot of tourist's eagles (buzzards) but the wing span looks really very big and it doesn't look particularly buzzardy.
Thanks as ever.

Attachments

• 20210119_140759.jpg
    20210119_140759.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 195
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I'm very jealous now because I've never seen a Hen Harrier. I guess once this lockdown is over I need to start visiting the in-laws a bit more! Thank you again.

Agree some form of harrier (wing shape, legs)
Realistically speaking, it is not likely to be Pallid or Montagu’s in the middle of January and I don’t see a rufous/brownish belly (Marsh) (also less likely for Scotland!) which is why I suggested Hen.

It looks as if it’s carrying prey on a closer look ...

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I'm very jealous now because I've never seen a Hen Harrier. I guess once this lockdown is over I need to start visiting the in-laws a bit more! Thank you again.
Where you near Baron’s Haugh by any chance?

bump - I guess this is still not settled as I accept there is a slight room for error here so perhaps some of the experts on BF will confirm my ID - of course if it’s still open to debate, I am sure more people will comment.

Ok, here are my thoughts.
What can we see:
  • unfeathered long tarsi
  • darkish trousers (or in the shadow)
  • all grey underwing with dark line in front and at rear (or artefacts and barred)
  • seemingly dark upperparts (or artefact)
  • seemingly long narrow wings (might just be the angle)
which leaves us with: unfeathered tarsi

my guess is that the underwing is just a whole artefact and that any large raptor with unfeathered tarsi is possible, my best guess would be Common Buzzard (looking large in the fog)

Thanks Tom - interesting how an image can present different impressions though - are our monitors so different in terms of colour/definition. (I am on a mobile but it’s generally a good interpretation). I suppose I should try and justify my original feelings:

It suppose it could be a Buzzard, a very pale one perhaps with minimal markings on the underwing - I have enough doubt about Hen Harrier to consider that! 🙂

Deb, I am seeing about the same but emphasizing the foggy situation, angle of view and digital artefacts
It surely could be a Hen Harrier

Is this her only image of it? Another one might make it appear different

Sorry - it is the only pic. I didn't think it would be a definite ID but the feedback you have all provided has been fascinating. I will leave them with the impression that it's a Hen Harrier - they were delighted with the news - and it has spurred them on to do some more watching and observing which can only be a great thing :)

Sorry - it is the only pic. I didn't think it would be a definite ID but the feedback you have all provided has been fascinating. I will leave them with the impression that it's a Hen Harrier - they were delighted with the news - and it has spurred them on to do some more watching and observing which can only be a great thing :)
Lol there’s no harm in that, whatever inspires more passion - ignorance can be bliss! 😂

Clearly a raptor but even allowing for the wings “appearing” perhaps longer than they were?
By the same token the tail appears to be somewhat short for a Circus?
Dunno....

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back