• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Raptor - Vietnam (1 Viewer)

Birder.ru

Hello! This photo is not mine, I've found it on a birder forum, and I'm sorry I can't provide a better location. I only know it was taken nearby a lake in Vietnam. I really don't know which raptor it may be. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 103304956_151998973112771_4889345673986826163_o.jpg
    103304956_151998973112771_4889345673986826163_o.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 65

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
Crested Serpent Eagle.

PS: When the photo is not yours, it's normally better to provide a link instead of posting the photo.

Last edited:

Birder.ru

Thank you very much! Thanks for the remainder! Should I delete the photo ? The original photographer doesn't seem to have a blog or a page of his own. I've found it on a small Facebook group. The author was asking for help to identify the bird but the members being unable to do so, I asked here.

MacNara

Japan
Thank you very much! Thanks for the remainder! Should I delete the photo ? The original photographer doesn't seem to have a blog or a page of his own. I've found it on a small Facebook group. The author was asking for help to identify the bird but the members being unable to do so, I asked here.

Assuming that you are a member of that Facebook group, then I suppose the polite thing to do would be to tell the original photographer about Bird Forum, and ask if you can post his photo here, or if he would like to do so himself.

But I don't think you've done anything very wrong. One occasional problem on this forum is people posting other people's photos as their own, and people posting photos which are technically the copyright of someone else - in which case, good practice is to link to the original photographer's site, Flickr page or whatever.

But I think your posting this photo here is only a minor breach of etiquette, not anything serious.

Quite a few of the people who generously help with IDs on BF are themselves highly talented illustrators of bird guides, or professional bird photographers, or run birding tour companies. So they are naturally and rightly concerned about people using their professional work (not their posts on BF, but their main work which brings them an income) without acknowledgement or (in some cases) the appropriate payment.

Anyway, welcome to Bird Forum. Please come again and by all means tell your Facebook friends about this site!

Users who are viewing this thread