• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Raptors Poland (1 Viewer)

misikuru

Poland
Hello, can someone ID these birds? All photos taken today on a riverside in Greater Poland.

I think the first one is a common buzzard. (or rough-legged?)

The photos for the second bird only show its silhouette. Can someone tell something from these photos? Thank you.

Attachments

• P1013790 (2).JPG
    P1013790 (2).JPG
    940.3 KB · Views: 110
  • P1013797 (2).JPG
    P1013797 (2).JPG
    504 KB · Views: 107
  • P1013806 (2).JPG
    P1013806 (2).JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 110
  • P1013807 (2).JPG
    P1013807 (2).JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 110
  • P1013808 (2).JPG
    P1013808 (2).JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 107

dwatsonbirder

All three latter images look fine for Gos (albeit given a certain amount of licence due to image quality) and the broad wings with wide hand and rounded appearance of the primaries fit an accipiter better than any falco - so I must respectfully disagree, particularly as I'm fairly used to identifying them from silhouette at long range, as I can see three territories from my office window.

misikuru

Poland
Thank you all for your help!

So we have Goshawk, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk. Considering the impression of the size, I'm leaning toward Goshawk. The bird was gliding quite far above the treetops, without wingbeats for a long time. Does this help confirming it or all 3 given birds behave similarly?

I'm fairly used to identifying them from silhouette at long range, as I can see three territories from my office window.
What a nice work location :) Thank you again for the details.

Users who are viewing this thread