• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Red crested Pochard drake still at Slurry pool at Chasewater, also a drake Pintail. A second drake Pintail was on the adjacent Norton Pool.

News for 28th Nov

Hoopoe - still near Wall Heath off Enville Road on landscaped old quarry (for 5th day)
3 Caspian Gull (2 ad, 3w) - Chasewater roost also Shag still
Whooper Swan - Whitemoor Haye near Sittles Farm

Any sightings of harriers on the moors.....aka Swallow Moss.....yet this autumn/winter?

There was a ringtail seen & photographed on the 'North Staffs Moors' on 13th Nov but haven't heard of any since. Might be being kept quiet for their own safety...

News for 19th Nov

Hoopoe - still Hinksford / Wall Heath
Avocet - Branston Pits
Ad Caspian Gull & Ring-necked Parakeet - Chasewater
Drake Scaup - Gailey on sailing lake

News for 20th Dec

2 ad Iceland & 2 ad Caspian Gull - Chasewater roost also Ring-necked Parakeet still
Whooper Swan & Short-eared Owl - Whitemoor Haye
Avocet - still Branston Pits
Drake Scaup - still Gailey

News for 23rd Dec

Ad Iceland & 4 Caspian Gull - Chasewater also Ring-necked Parakeet still

At Whitmore Haye on Friday pm was a single Whooper Swan with about 20 Mutes, plus a single adult Black Swan.

Lots of Yellowhammers, Linnets, 15 Tree Sparrows, probable single Corn Bunting (but may have been a juvenile Yellowhammer), 100 Golden Plover over, 400 Lapwings, all from the rough track next to the airstrip.

Red Kite

I am doing a blog for Staffordshire wildlife trust on the Peregrines at Hen cloud. Today at 1.30pm a Red kite flew over quite low. Managed to get a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_4015.jpg
    DSC_4015.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_4017.jpg
    DSC_4017.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 9
just had a great white egret fly directly over my flat in trent vale!... might well have dropped down onto the lyme valley as i lost it somewhat into the setting sun.... just going to check it out now.

just got back but no sign

Brent Geese

Taken at Aqualate mere on Sunday 4th December 2016

Attachments

• DSC_3138.jpg
    DSC_3138.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 48
70 Waxwings at Biddulph 6 Feb 2017

70 Waxwings at Biddulph 6 Feb 2017
This morning at 9.00am I spotted these on some rowan berries, the trees of which, I have been watching for some weeks while walking the dog.
Not rare I guess, but in terms of numbers worth a shout.
Unfortunately no camera this morning at 09.00 when it was a lovely,crisp cold, but sunny morning. tried at 10.30 but couldn't locate them. Conditions worsened by afternoon, the light rapidly disappearing and sleety drizzle had set in by the time I re-visited at 15.30
The flock was very un-confiding, making several passes before half a dozen lighted in a near bye garden. .A lady stopped her car and reversed right under the rowans just as they had lighted, scaring them off.
The squally conditions made it nigh impossible to wait it out for them to put on a better show so after half an hour I trudged back home soaking wet.
Wprth posting to keep the thread alive, I guess.

Attachments

• Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus Gillow Heath  Staffordshire 060217 04LQ.jpg
    Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus Gillow Heath Staffordshire 060217 04LQ.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus Gillow Heath  Staffordshire 060217 06LQ.jpg
    Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus Gillow Heath Staffordshire 060217 06LQ.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus Gillow Heath  Staffordshire 060217 05LQ.jpg
    Waxwing Bombycilla garrulus Gillow Heath Staffordshire 060217 05LQ.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 61
40 Waxwings at Biddulph 7 Feb 2017

Waxwings still at the same location this morning at 9.30 am.
Mow Lane, opposite the playing field entrance.

In area tomorrow was going to try for temmincks stint any tips where to park and get to right pit

Park at end of small meadows lane ,which is off dunstall road , walk along track to farm, bear left when you reach farmhouse, head towards quarry workings following public footpaths, stint was seen today on first large pit you reach, follow footpaths to reach other pits, this is a working quarry with strict security please stay on footpaths good luck:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back