• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

And a Cattle Egret reported east over Doxey Marshes at 0825 + female Marsh Harrier at 1115

I saw the name of the observer for those and decided against putting the news on...!

News for the 10th June

2s Med Gull - Clayhanger over Ryders Mere
Red Kite - east over Belvide

News for the 13th June

Grey Plover - Drayton Bassett Jubilee Wetlands

News for the 12th June

Turnstone - Drayton Bassett Jubilee Wetlands

News for the 11th June

Adult female Honey Buzzard - over Clayhanger Marsh at 10.50

I thought you meant that other great Staffs stringer......:-O

There are a few lurking in the County but I think we get away quite lightly in Staffs compared to some areas of the Country by the sound of it...:eek!:

News for Olde Staffs on Monday

Male American Kestrel in Walsall in The Chuckery in ash tree in small park on corner of Walsingham Street at 10.28. It was photographed but presence/absence of rings were not determined.

I would assume the likelihood of it being wild are slim given location and time of year but you just never know in birding - if a BK can get to Staffs....

News for the 17th June

No sign of the possible Greenish Warbler reported yday 2 miles east of Cheadle at Hawksmoor NR off B5417 at bottom of valley in trees by pool just beyond East Wall Farm.

Can't find any further information on this report - can anyone on here shed any light on it?

Drake Scaup - Westport Lake early am

Tonight on Cannock chase around the Katyn memorial and Sherbrook valley:

Only 1 Nightjar heard briefly
4 Cuckoo
1 Tawny Owl
6 Tree Pipits

And 1 Long-eared Owl hunting over the heath.

News for the 23rd June

Drake Scaup - Brookleys Lake also ad Whooper Swan am but no sign pm

Is this thought to be the same Whooper Swan that has been seen at Blithfield, Westport, Uttoxeter Quarry and now Brookleys Lake? Assuming it might be an escape (from Blackbrook again or Rocester?) - or is it more likely a wild bird that is 'slightly injured' and hasn't attempted the journey back north...or just enjoying the cold of an English summer...

Answers on a postcard...

Hi Ian. I think this Whooper is sick or injured. I missed it this afternoon, but with hindsight I probably should've been looking in amongst the grasses around the lake, instead of on the water.

Andy B has sent some footage to Staffs Bird News. Considering it was taken on his phone, it indicates how close he got to it. No rings on legs, fully-winged and not moulting I'm told.

No Whoopers at Rocester's collection, don't know about Blackbrook.

News for the 23rd June

Drake Scaup - Brookleys Lake also ad Whooper Swan am but no sign pm

Is this thought to be the same Whooper Swan that has been seen at Blithfield, Westport, Uttoxeter Quarry and now Brookleys Lake? Assuming it might be an escape (from Blackbrook again or Rocester?) - or is it more likely a wild bird that is 'slightly injured' and hasn't attempted the journey back north...or just enjoying the cold of an English summer...

Answers on a postcard...

Thanks Richard for the info on the Whooper Swan, sounds like it might be a sick bird.

News for the 24th June

1s Little Gull - Blithfield

Not exactly rare these days but a 1st record for Gailey was the Egyptian Goose found this evening by The Snapper - nice one mate! Twitched by me this evening it was another welcome (and much anticipated) addition to the patch list, presumably the same bird that had been seen on & off recently at Belvide.

It's just that Birdguides' inflexible system do not (appear to) allow a site to be in more than one county. I know our boundary expert has pointed this out to them ;-)

Middleton Lakes

It's just that Birdguides' inflexible system do not (appear to) allow a site to be in more than one county. I know our boundary expert has pointed this out to them ;-)

Hi Tom,
I have not contacted Birdguides on this matter. As stated in the previous posts any visitors to the Reserve would not know the County Boundaries. example Birdguides has RSPB Middleton Lakes Warks and RSPB Middleton Staffs on their database. Someone reports to birdguides 2 Little Tern RSPB Middleton Lakes, Birdguides asks reportee which County is it, reportee replys I don't know.

Regards, John

Gailey this afternoon.....Wednesday afternoon that is:

67 Greylags
35 Canadas
1 Egyptian Goose still present with Greylags
6 Whitethroats (family party along bridle path)
1 Reed Warbler
1 Sedge Warbler
1 Buzzard
4 Common Terns

Had my first Staffs Red Kite on Thursday between Leek & Congleton. Watched it meander from Staffs into Cheshire. Don't know what Birdguides would have made of that!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back