• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (2 Viewers)

Looks like the Gailey G N Diver has finally departed. I popped up Sunday late afternoon for a brief visit with no joy, and a more protracted search this morning before work again drew a blank. I can only assume the nice clear weather on Saturday encouraged the bird to move.

Time for another Gailey goodie now!

Hi all,

The Armenian Gull look a like roosted again this evening. This time I managed to get some flight shots to confirm it's a sub adult Yellow-legged Gull. The wing shows just a single mirror on p10 which I presume is down to it not being an adult and will moult a mirror to p9 when it fully matures. A very interesting bird, which I'm glad I've seen and learnt from.

Ah well you can't win them all. Smart bird - not like any sub-adult YLG I've ever seen before but like you said to me Tuesday it was about the only option it could be (other than Armenian of course!)

Extra News for the 5th Mar

2 Iceland Gull (ad+Juv), 1w Velvet Scoter, 1w Long-tailed Duck & 11 Scaup - Belvide
Mealy Redpoll - Cannock Chase near the cadet huts

News for the 7th Mar

1w Velvet Scoter, 1w Long-tailed Duck, 11 Scaup & 1w Caspian Gull - Belvide
2 Iceland (ad+Juv), Juv Glaucous, 2 Caspian (1w+3w) & ad Med Gull also Juv Great Northern Diver - Chasewater

Alrewas GP

Can anyone tell me the best way to get Alrewas GP? I'm often travelling down the A38 and fancy popping in but don't know the best access point. Much appreciated if someone could let me know.

Thanks

John

News for the 8th Mar

1w Velvet Scoter, 1w Long-tailed Duck, 11 Scaup, 1w Caspian Gull- Belvide also 6 ad Little Gull during day
Juv Glaucous, 1w Caspian & ad Med Gull - Chasewater but no sign of GN Diver
Fem Red-crested Pochard - Gailey on both the main reservoirs

First obvious signs of a bit of early spring passage today with a few Little Gulls and Blackwits across the midlands region...happy days!

Cannock Chase Crossbill

Hi All

Had a gentle scopeless stroll on the Chase late morning to mid-afternoon, mainly around the Trig Point area and on down into Abraham's Valley.
Walking from the Cadet Huts car-park, I could soon hear Crossbill calling and found 14 (6 males and 8 females) in the trees down by the Trig Point 'crossroads'... digibinned record shot below.
A few walkers and mountain-bikers soon spooked them into the trees closest to the Trig Point overlooking a small muddy pool (about six or seven inches wide ! )most taking it in turns to come down to drink, two or three at a time.
After they flew off I headed over to Abraham's Valley, but it took some time to sort through a whole heap of birds and calls there... mainly from dozens (hundreds ?) of Siskin, with Redpoll, Tits and several Wren, Nuthatch and a few Treecreeper all among the wider mix ... to find two separate pairs of Crossbill.
Back up at the Trig Point later on, Mark Jackson was already watching a handful of Crossbill, but after a dog spooked most of them, a lone female flew down quite close to us and began probing underneath the bark of the nearest tree. With thanks to Mark for the loan of his scope, the attached record shot doesn't quite pick up the bird's tongue which he could clearly see. Pity ... but next time maybe.

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 56
News for the 11th Mar

2 x 1w Caspian Gull, 1w Velvet Scoter, 1w Long-tailed Duck & 6 Scaup - Belvide
Fem Long-tailed Duck - still Alrewas Pits
Med Gull - Middleton Lakes RSPB

News for the 10th Mar

Drake Lesser Scaup - still Tittesworth
2 Wheatear - Berry Hill Fields

News for the 13th Mar

1w Caspian & ad Med Gull, 1w Velvet Scoter, 1w Long-tailed Duck & 2 Scaup - Belvide
Juv Glaucous Gull - Chasewater

News for the 15th Mar

Drake Lesser Scaup - still Tittesworth on the conservation pool
1w Velvet Scoter, 1w Long-tailed Duck, 11 Scaup, 2 Caspian (ad+1w) & ad Med Gull - Belvide
Fem Long-tailed Duck - still Alrewas Pits
Juv Glaucous Gull - Cannock Tip then in Chasewater roost

Last edited:
Hi all
Not Staffordshire related I know, but I was hoping someone could help me out with directions to World's End, North Wales ?
Although I have a general idea that it is on the edges of the Llandegla Forest, I could do with something more specific. We live in Biddulph and I guess we will be heading to Wrexham first.
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Worlds End Wales 2.jpg
    Worlds End Wales 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 14
Hi all
Not Staffordshire related I know, but I was hoping someone could help me out with directions to World's End, North Wales ?
Although I have a general idea that it is on the edges of the Llandegla Forest, I could do with something more specific. We live in Biddulph and I guess we will be heading to Wrexham first.
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It's along the minor road that leads SW from minera, and is signposted from the A525

News for the 16th Mar

1w Velvet Scoter, 1w Long-tailed Duck & 11 Scaup - still Belvide
Juv Glaucous & Juv Iceland Gull - Chasewater roost

Staffordshire Lapwing Survey

The Stafford Branch of the WMBC, in conjunction with BTO Staffordshire and Staffordshire Wildlife Trust is undertaking a Lapwing survey across the county this spring. To make this a success, we would be really grateful for any and all sightings of breeding evidence. This could be anything from displaying males, pairs on territory, sitting birds or chicks and juveniles. If you could take some time to explore suitable habitat near where you live, or note sightings whilst you are out birding in Staffordshire, that would be most welcome.

The survey is taking place between March and June. If you have any records, please either email myself or Scott Petrek with details, or enter your sightings on BTO Birdtrack. The information needed would be: Site Name, Grid Reference if possible, Number of Adults and/or chicks involved and Breeding Status (Displaying, On Territory, Sitting, etc).

We hope to publish results at the end of the year, so please send us your records before the end of July and thanks in advance for participating.

Nick Pomiankowski: [email protected]
Scott Petrek: [email protected]

News for the 20th Mar

1w Velvet Scoter, 1w Long-tailed Duck & 11 Scaup - still Belvide
Adult Kittiwake - north thru Westport this am

Extra News for the 19th Mar

Juv Glaucous, Juv Iceland & 1w Caspian Gull - Chasewater
Juv Iceland Gull & ad Kittiwake - Belvide roost

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back