• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (2 Viewers)

Smew and Hen Harrier

Hi all, long time since I posted anything. Just getting back into it a bit after a short break. Had a look at the Smew at Central forrest park the other day, managed a few shots that were ok. Then I have been up to see the Hen Harrier a few times, only brief views of it before landing, and very distant at the moment, I never seem to choose the right place to view from. A couple of record shots non the less. Neil.

Attachments

• _DSC0900.jpg
    _DSC0900.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 29
  • _DSC0898.jpg
    _DSC0898.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 41
  • _DSC0834.jpg
    _DSC0834.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 19
Extra News for the 27th Feb

Great Skua - flew north thru Chasewater at 17.20 also 2 ad Med Gull
2 Water Pipit - Doxey Marshes
3 Scaup (2 drake) - Belvide

The Chasewater Great Skua was the first Feb record ever for Staffs.

I saw a white stoat at Hanchurch Woods too, yesterday at GR SJ832402. I've been told it was a third for Staffs but it looks like a fourth after your sighting!

Superb male Hen Harrier appeared at 5.15pm. It was in view for ten minutes or so, mainly hunting on the centre part of the moss; those parked along the top road would have had best views.

No Red Grouse were seen or heard today; 500 Fieldfares flew to roost. And a stoat in its pure white winter coat was seen along the edge of the road.

Hen Harrier. I suppose you pick your spot and hope it comes fairly close to where you are at the time, the last 2 times I have seen it have been quite brief. Very little chance of decent images, but patience pays off I suppose. Just had a Brambling in the garden with 7 Bullfinches, will keep my eyes peeled for the Common Redpoll again.

Couple of shots of the Brambling through the kitchen window, so not great images.

Attachments

• _DSC1050.jpg
    _DSC1050.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 10
  • _DSC1053.jpg
    _DSC1053.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 11
News for the 28th Feb

Kittiwake - Blithfield this am then flew NW also 3w Caspian Gull
Male Hen Harrier - Swallow Moss at 16.30
3 Scaup (2 drake) - Belvide
3 ad Med Gull - Chasewater

News for the 3rd Mar

Fem Velvet Scoter & 3 Scaup - still Belvide
3 Caspian Gull (ad,2w & 1w) - Blithfield roost
3w Caspian Gull & ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost
1w drake Smew - Hanley Forest Park lake

News for the 9th Mar

Cracking find by Craig Reed of an Alpine Swift in Wolverhampton Town Centre this afternoon in Ye Olde Staffs! Seen twice up to 3.45 but no sign after despite about ten of us searching. The last sighting by Craig had it flying low down the road past the St Peter's Church towards KFC! Given the weather and time must be a good chance it was tucked up on a tall building, just not the church. Maybe tomorrow it will grace the city again. Congratulations to Craig - he's a NGB finding machine!

Slavonian Grebe, Velvet Scoter & 3 Scaup - Belvide
1w drake Smew - Westport Lake

More posts about the alpine swift are on the west mids thread. It gets confusing on this thread when you post news from neighbouring counties.

Was expecting a nice quiet stroll round Westport this afternoon hoping to see the Smew. As it happened the Smew had gone, and I think half of Stoke on Trent was out walking round there, or fishing. It was packed.

News for the 14th Mar

Fem Velvet Scoter & drake Scaup - Belvide
3 Water Pipit - Doxey Marshes
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - Aqualate Mere

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of news coming out of Blithfield these days. Is anyone doing it regularly?

Yep, still being done regularly by Graham and Max. I'm sure the onset of spring will bring more good birds.

News for the 21st Mar

6 Water Pipit - Doxey Marshes near Octagonal hide
Fem Velvet Scoter & drake Scaup - still Belvide
redhead Smew - Blithfield in Tad bay
2w Caspian Gull - Chasewater
Rock Pipit - north over Westport early am

News for the 22nd Mar

Fem Marsh Harrier - Aqualate Mere
pair Garganey & Med Gull - Chasewater
Grey Plover - Middleton Lakes on Jubilee Wetlands
Drake Red-crested Pochard - Himley Pool

News for 23rd Mar

Fem Marsh Harrier - still Aqualate Mere
Grey Plover - still Middleton Lakes near north pit
2w Med Gull - Chasewater

News for the 26th Mar

First real day with a bit of passage this spring - not that I saw any of it from my office window!

2 Dark-bellied Brent Geese - Stubbers Green then at Chasewater this evening
2+ (poss up to 5) adult Kittiwake - Westport Lake this am
3 Avocet - Middleton Lakes RSPB on north pit
Male Hen Harrier - between Mermaid and Warslow Rd at 18.00
Drake Garganey - Cop Mere
4 Pink-footed Geese - Blithfield in Blithe bay
s/pl Black-tailed Godwit - Gailey on the causeway late evening

Last edited:
Happy BK Day today to everyone who was there that day - 1st April, surely the most memorable day in Staffs birding history...and the one day of the year you won't see Bernie Smith out in the field!

News for the 31st March

Velvet Scoter & drake Scaup - still Belvide

Staffordshire Breeding Lapwing Survey - 2015

Sorry this is not rare bird info, but WMBC in conjunction with SWT is running another county-wide lapwing survey this year. If you observe any birds displaying, nesting, tending young etc, please either let me know (email or PM) or log it on Birdtrack.

Thanks in advance, Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back