• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (6 Viewers)

Gwe

Per RBA. Great White Egret Alcester in fields and by river just beyond main entrance to Ragley Hall at 'wixford fishing' sign at 3pm - for 3rd day.

Gareth

I gather it has been in the area since early December but is generally on the lake within Ragley Hall. Unfortunately no access in Winter to this property.

You never know your luck though and there are several footpaths along the River. They do like rivers with their longer legs.

I had a go at the Draycote roost today. It has been a fair while since I've been there and I knew the water levels were low but hadn't actually realised how low! Could be interesting in the spring and may encourage some breeding if disturbance is not too much of an issue.

Anyway, I got the juv Glaucaus Gull and a probable ad Yellow-legged Gull. I watched from Henborough bank and most of the big gulls were out of my comfortable viewing range as they were in the mostly over the far side around the valve tower and dunns bay. Luckily the Glauc sticks out but I couldn't locate the Iceland Gull. Someone else was watching from near the valve tower so maybe they picked it up. My probable Yellow-legged was seen very near darkness and I just couldn't be confident with it.

Gareth

I had a go at the Draycote roost today. It has been a fair while since I've been there and I knew the water levels were low but hadn't actually realised how low! Could be interesting in the spring and may encourage some breeding if disturbance is not too much of an issue.

Anyway, I got the juv Glaucaus Gull and a probable ad Yellow-legged Gull. I watched from Henborough bank and most of the big gulls were out of my comfortable viewing range as they were in the mostly over the far side around the valve tower and dunns bay. Luckily the Glauc sticks out but I couldn't locate the Iceland Gull. Someone else was watching from near the valve tower so maybe they picked it up. My probable Yellow-legged was seen very near darkness and I just couldn't be confident with it.

Gareth

Glad you got the Glaucous Gareth. Regarding distance of the gull's you would probably find if you viewed from just past the Valve Tower/Dunns Bay they would look as if they were in Rainbow/Hensborough area :eek!: it is very deceiving.
The water levels will be good for passage this spring if they don't go up too much, but as for breeding the disturbance on the shore fro members of the public would be hard to control. Could have some success on the Islands if still there but then have to contend with the boats and windsurfers "beaching" up and going for a stroll. Could do with a schedule 1 bird then we could have some protection, and the new rangers seem interested in the wildlife so could be a help.

Regards

John

Could do with a schedule 1 bird then we could have some protection, and the new rangers seem interested in the wildlife so could be a help.

Regards

John

A certain Schedule 1 bird did cross my mind actually. The rangers were working on the pathway up to the bird info hut and they seemed alright, they mentioned you and Richard and were genuinely interested in what's being seen.

Cheers

Gareth

19/1/12 I have received a report today via the Warks County Recorder that he received a report from the BBRC regarding a Night Heron seen Alvecote pools 16/1/12 pool behind the Pretty Pigs pub which is in Staffordshire.

Regards, John

Draycote roost 29th

The paler Juv Glaucous Gull again in the roost today, proper record shot att ;)

Regards

John

Attachments

• glauc.jpg
    glauc.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 92
The phrase "record shot" is sadly misused and abused nowadays but I think that one fully qualifies! ;)

Anyone who can get anything of a roosting gull in the gathering gloom deserves a prize.

Shall we predict Daisy's next epic day out for his blog, left Rugby at 05.00 arrived Rhiwderyn 07.00 3 Barn Owls, 2 Tawny & Little Owl on route down, 07.30 Yellowthroat in the bag with flyover Lap Bunt & Merlin Then on to the Lesser Scaup no probs' then jammed into the adult Boney's Gull, then onto Kenfig with stunning views of Bittern, Black-necked Grebe. Stopped for greasy fry-up & still only 10.00, popped into Ferryside had 2 Goshawks & a Red Kite over hill on opposite side of estuary, then Long-billed Dowitcher at kidwelly then on to Glossy Ibis & a bit of sea-watching off Strumble with a nice Pom Skua, 2 Baleraric Shears, 14 Chough & Peregrine, stop at Fishguard for Black Guillemot, 6 Med, Iceland Gull & Great Northern Diver plus fly-over Shorelark, next stop Borth for another Glossy Ibis then Greenland White-fronts on the Dovey with 2 Short-eared Owls & a roosting L E Owl then just made it in time for the feeding at Gigrin Farm for Red Kites, now can I make the pond for the Gull Roost befoe dark. To save time he can just cut & paste this.

Mike.

Shall we predict Daisy's next epic day out for his blog, left Rugby at 05.00 arrived Rhiwderyn 07.00 3 Barn Owls, 2 Tawny & Little Owl on route down, 07.30 Yellowthroat in the bag with flyover Lap Bunt & Merlin Then on to the Lesser Scaup no probs' then jammed into the adult Boney's Gull, then onto Kenfig with stunning views of Bittern, Black-necked Grebe. Stopped for greasy fry-up & still only 10.00, popped into Ferryside had 2 Goshawks & a Red Kite over hill on opposite side of estuary, then Long-billed Dowitcher at kidwelly then on to Glossy Ibis & a bit of sea-watching off Strumble with a nice Pom Skua, 2 Baleraric Shears, 14 Chough & Peregrine, stop at Fishguard for Black Guillemot, 6 Med, Iceland Gull & Great Northern Diver plus fly-over Shorelark, next stop Borth for another Glossy Ibis then Greenland White-fronts on the Dovey with 2 Short-eared Owls & a roosting L E Owl then just made it in time for the feeding at Gigrin Farm for Red Kites, now can I make the pond for the Gull Roost befoe dark. To save time he can just cut & paste this.

Mike.

The Tardis and the "Old Crowd" will have a jolly time,at the hands of "Dr Who" you MAYS ask... ;-7

Draycote roost

In the roost tonight Tim Marlow and Martin Elliot had a probable second winter Azorean Yellow-legged Gull, third winter Glaucous Gull and 3 new Iceland Gull's two second winters and a juv.

Regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back