• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendation for compact binoculars for glove box? (1 Viewer)

dimitrig

United States
My regular birding binoculars are Celestron Granite ED 10x50 and Celestron Trailseeker ED 8x42. I have a vacation house and I keep the 10x50 there because I do more observing from inside the house there while I take the 8x42 with me in the field. Both serve me well.

However, sometimes I am traveling or just out and about doing errands when I see a bird or other object that I really want to get a better look at. I usually don’t have my binoculars with me in that instance. I would really like a pair of binoculars I can keep stashed in my glove box for those occasions. I drive a SUV (no trunk) and where I live smash and grab is a problem so it is essential they fit in the glove box.

It is also important to me that they not be super expensive because there is that risk they will be stolen. I guess I would like to stay in the $50 range but I could be convinced to go up to $100 if the optics (or size) are that much better but not too much beyond that.

I don’t know the glove box dimensions but it is a typical size glove box.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Its hard to find good optics at that price range, chech these out, they are offering ED Glass and Dielectric coatings.
O
I have never tried them but they a offering a lot for $109 after rebate.

Also they are selling these 7x32

I'd recommend buying used. Maybe one of the "miniature binos" or "skeletonized binos". I have one that is pretty much the same as the Nikon Mikron 6x15. But it is really tiny. They also made a 6x25 with 11.5° FoV which is excellent.
They can be found for good prices. I paid 25€ for the 6x15. It will definitely fit in the glove box.
img37hiar.jpg

6x25 and 6x18 together:
img4hcitm.jpg

6x25 in use:
img1d9ivx.jpg

When I think of compacts, I think of pocket binoculars with 20 - 25mm objectives lenses that fold quite tight compared to a standard 8x32.
Is that what you're after?
Whatever you decide, one way to see what's out there would be to jump over to Amazon and search for your size (ie: 10x25 or 8x32) using "lowest price first" function.
Good luck.
Jack

Smash and grab is a prob. Had it done to my vehicle 2X, including gove box. Had older backup binos stashed under back of front seat, on floor for years. Bad guys figured it out. I miss the functionality you describe. Am forgoing that idea while living here. Get why price comes front and center in your choice. Like know what you decide on.

Can't go wrong with the Vanquish if you don't need the 50 cm minimum focus distance of the Papilio.
The Vanquish is waterproof which the Papilio is not.

I went with the Papilio II 6.5x21 The close focus is a pretty cool feature to add to my arsenal. They are a little more expensive than I want to pay for ideally but we will see how it goes in terms of longevity. Amazon had them for Black Friday for $96 so they just fit inside that $100 price point.

Also, I see that Amazon has the Fujifilm Glimpz 5x21 on sale for $25.99 right now. That also looks like a really good solution for someone concerned about theft. Not nearly as nice as the Papilio, but worth keeping at the office or some other semi-public space.

Last edited:
I went with the Papilio II 6.5x21 The close focus is a pretty cool feature to add to my arsenal. They are a little more expensive than I want to pay for ideally but we will see how it goes in terms of longevity. Amazon had them for Black Friday for $96 so they just fit inside that $100 price point.

Also, I see that Amazon has the Fujifilm Glimpz 5x21 on sale for $25.99 right now. That also looks like a really good solution for someone concerned about theft. Not nearly as nice as the Papilio, but worth keeping at the office or some other semi-public space.
You can't go wrong buying a Papilio . I firmly believe that every one should have one in their arsenal . As far as I know there are no other binoculars that can match the Papilio for their macro views . They get a little shaky when taking full advantage of their minimum focus , this is why I like to mount them on a small tripod with panning and a crank elevator . Way more detail when viewing the little critters .

Attachments

• DSC00461 (Large).JPG
    DSC00461 (Large).JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00453 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00453 (Medium).JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 23
I've checked out a few compacts and, after some consideration, decided not to upgrade what I've had in the glove box for the last 10 years: Vixen 6x21 monocular. The eyecups on all the compacts feel too small and I don't like using them, the monocular is smaller and fits in the glove box better. It's not as good as a binocular but I don't use it very much, only for times where I see something cool and I've forgotten to bring larger binos. The optics on this are outstanding, I think they sell for ~$200 these days on ebay:

Quick update here. I have had the Papilio for 2 weeks now and that was the perfect solution for me. I am very happy!

First, just having a pair of binoculars in the car has proven to be really handy already. There was an occasion where I did not plan to go birding but ended up at a botanical garden because someone else wanted to go and having the binoculars in the glove box was very handy. Another time I heard an owl when pulling into my driveway, was able to quickly pull out the binoculars and spotted a pair of great horned owls on the phone pole. I am not sure they would have stuck around and waited for me to go inside to get my full size pair. This isn’t a testament to the binoculars other than their size but if you have been thinking about doing this it is proving even more useful than I thought.

As for the binoculars themselves, I got the 6.5 x 21 and it is a nice combination of FOV, brightness, and magnification. The binoculars are light and so small (4.5” x 4.25”) they can be gripped and used one-handed depending on how big your hands are of course. I managed to track a flycatcher in flight at a distance of about 20 feet with these and keep it in the center of the field of view. The close focus of these is fantastic and I like zooming in on flowers and insects. Field of view is wide for a compact (6 degrees) and image is bright in most conditions.

A downside is that they are not great in low light conditions. I could not make out a lot of detail when viewing the owls in only bright moonlight. That is to be expected with the small objective len size. I also wish there was a cover for the objective lenses. There is only one provided for the eye cups. The biggest drawback is that it takes a lot of movement of the focus knob to get things in focus. From closest to infinity is about 3 turns and I find myself struggling to keep objects in focus if they are moving quickly towards me or away or when I want to switch from a closer object to a farther one. However, the image is very crisp once it is in focus and the knob itself has a very nice feel to it. The build quality for a sub-$100 binocular is excellent.

If these ever get stolen out of the car I am going to buy a replacement pair. I also find that sometimes I am getting them out of the car when I want to see something like a spider up close so a future time might come when I purchase another pair to keep in the house. I am very satisfied!

I, too, have the Papillo II and love them. The close focus is great for, well, butterflies (of course). I took them on a family vacation flight with carry on bags only, and they were so easy to slip into my bag.

I've stopped keeping a glove box binocular.
Access takes time & is fiddly due to the lock and other things that inevitably get stored in there; and they have to be small bins (which fit in my jacket pocket anyway)
This and the fact I only ever use them occasionally & briefly from inside or next to the car, means I now instead keep a larger pair tucked under my drivers seat, discreetly out of sight.
I actually have a 9x63(!) under there at the moment, which happens to be my cheapest and otherwise least used. Knowing it's only me that will grab them I dont even keep the ocular/objective guards on.

...my tuppence

I've stopped keeping a glove box binocular.
Access takes time & is fiddly due to the lock and other things that inevitably get stored in there; and they have to be small bins (which fit in my jacket pocket anyway)
This and the fact I only ever use them occasionally & briefly from inside or next to the car, means I now instead keep a larger pair tucked under my drivers seat, discreetly out of sight.
I actually have a 9x63(!) under there at the moment, which happens to be my cheapest and otherwise least used. Knowing it's only me that will grab them I dont even keep the ocular/objective guards on.

...my tuppence
I don't keep binoculars in my glove box either. Too much junk in there as it is. I keep my more cosmetically worn set of Swift Aububon 8.5x44's under the drivers seat. Much faster grab than reaching across to the glove box. So there is no need for something small.

I've had a pair of Kowa YF 8x30 in my glove box for around 3 years (IIRC), but I've lost them a few months ago (I'm still trying to figure out how or where). However, I must say that they've stood such an ordeal remarkably well. I've been lucky enough to use them in a number of opportunities and they've even give me the chance to spot some "lifers". As a matter of fact, last week I saw a pair of 2nd hand YFII for a good price and I bought them without hesitation for the same purpose. On the other car, we have a pair of 7x42 Bresser Fuchs (a Porro sold under many other brand names; a cheap Habicht look-alike); in spite not being sealed, these have also fared remarkably well, considering the scorching hot inside the car during the summer months.

In my case, I think a 32 mm or small 42 mm is a nice choice. I see little use in going down to 25 mm since they are way more compromised in usability and performance and weight and size are not crucial considerations in this case, unlike when you're looking for a "pocket" bino.
Just a thought: because what you need is ruggedness and durability, I'd probably try to look for a good quality used binocular: for example, lately I've seen some very nice 8x32 Minox Asph (which are built like tanks) for very little money. Probably near you there are some well made old binoculars that can serve this particular purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back