• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendation please. (1 Viewer)

Freako

What everyday lens would you guys recommend in the 18-70 mm range? It is high time I upgraded my Cannon kit lens.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Depends on your budget and really what you want to use the lens for.
If you have a full frame body and prepared to pay the money the 24-70 f2.8 lens is great and even the non Canon versions can be good such as the Tamron version would be a good portrait lens while still being useful for landscape work.
The 24-105 is a great all-round lens and allows for most situations.
For landscape the 16-35 lens is a great lens.

Tim.

Full frame then a 24-70, ideally the Canon F2.8 V2. APSC then perhaps a 15-85 or 17-55 F2.8?

Don't forget to try out the Canon 16-35 F4 L IS too!

For what it's worth I find my 16-35 F4 L IS works well with my 7D2 but the focal range is a bit limited - very nice lens though!

I have only ever had crop bodies 40D and now a 750D I have a 10-24mm Sigma lens that I find great for landscape work and the good old nifty 50 for portraits plus the 70-200 f4 (if I was doing more portrait work I would maybe go for the f2.8, the Sigma/Tamron versions can be just as good in respect to image quality but the focusing speed is not as quick as Canon glass)

Tim.

The Canon 18-135 USM for crop cameras is supposed to be a great do-everything lens. Be sure it is the USM version (there are 3 of the 18-135s). That's equivalent to a 28-200mm, which is really all you need except for birds, wildlife, or high 3d perspective wide angle.

Not to be flippant, but you could also switch to the Sony RX100VII (24-200mm equivalent) in a small point-and-shoot format. The Canon lens is $600 new. If you sell your Canon gear, you could afford the Sony at $1200. Something to think about! Or, you could get that Canon lens used for $400.

Personally, I'd rather carry something like the Sony for walk-around and the DSLR for action with a long lens like a 150-600 or 400. The 18-135 is 515g, whereas the RX100VI is only 302g w/ battery & sd card. So, it weighs less to carry the Sony than to carry a second lens (at least the 18-135 USM), and there's no lens switching. And the RX100VII is probably better for action at closer range than the 7d2 (20fps, amazing AF).

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back