• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for the UK (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
Currently, I'm torn between visiting Surrey to see Colin, or visiting Northern England to see a lady's slipper colony a warden has graciously told me I may visit.

Problem is, it is 3.5 hours to the lady's slipper colony. The cuckoo is much closer and easier for me.

Is anyone aware of Colin's return? I assume when he returns it will be well-known. And where should I place the mealworms, to avoid scaring the bird off? (as I still think there must be something wrong with the reports "Colin gets within 3 meters of you", because it just seems so unreal)

Currently, I'm torn between visiting Surrey to see Colin, or visiting Northern England to see a lady's slipper colony a warden has graciously told me I may visit.

Problem is, it is 3.5 hours to the lady's slipper colony. The cuckoo is much closer and easier for me.

Is anyone aware of Colin's return? I assume when he returns it will be well-known. And where should I place the mealworms, to avoid scaring the bird off? (as I still think there must be something wrong with the reports "Colin gets within 3 meters of you", because it just seems so unreal)
Believe it. Except that it's two, not three.

I haven't heard he's back but he is definitely due. Fingers crossed.

John

The only things I'm hesitating on is that Colin is very, very old and may not return. That and the enormous amount of effort needed to get to the wild Lady's Slipper colony

You can check the progress of some of the Cuckoo in the BTO scheme here:-

You can check the progress of some of the Cuckoo in the BTO scheme here:-
You know, I've been checking data back in Spain and it turns out nobody has seen golden orioles in my area yet. Last year, one was seen earliest on the 13th. I have noted a large absence of cuckoos in the same area where everything was jumping last year. I looked at the map, and all of these tagged cuckoos are mostly either in Spain or in Africa.
Hopefully it is just Colin being late because of weather, because everything else is distinctly late both in Spain and the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back