• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations (1 Viewer)

It would help if you advised the time of year you are coming, how long you have to spend up here and the species you are particularly interested in.

Meanwhile I'll move this thread to the Scotland forum - there's a wealth of information among our members in there and you might find it interesting browsing through some of the threads too.

I should have said its a short notice thing some time this month I don't mind what I see but some where in or near countryside where I can take photos I have never seen pine Martin and I would like to get a good photo of a red deer

Last edited:
The last I heard, a good place to see Pine Martens is in the Strontian area (they visit feeders in gardens there I think).

You should also get Red Deer there too. But almost any moorland hilly area... they're just coming up to rutting time. But I'm sure others will soon come in with more info.

Key question, do you have your own transport, some of the places that spring to mind are a bit remote with no public transport.

A work colleague once stayed in a B&B in Kilmartin, Argyll and they had pine martens coming to their garden at night. You'll also not be too far from Knapdale where the official beaver trial took place. But I agree with a comment above that a car will greatly enhance your ability to get around. I no longer have a car and find many sites to be out of reach now unfortunately.

You could perhaps think about Tobermory on Mull as there might still be boat trips going out from there. Seabirds may not be as concentrated on the islands, but always a chance of cetaceans and you also have birds like white-tailed eagles there. There are a few safari companies on the island, but I don't know if you can book on last minute, but maybe worth enquiring?

Here's a boat trip company - still offering trips up to October from what I can see: Trips — Turus Mara

We are a bit in a lull, summer birds are leaving and there's few winter ones arriving yet, river estuaries are a decent place to aim for this time of year, the hills are getting quiet now, Red Deer rut will soon add to the joy of walking the Glens, Glen Shee in Aberdeenshire is a good place for Eagles, Red Deer, Red Grouse, Mountain Hare, Ptarmigan if you get high enough, Ravens, chance of a Peregrine. Red Squirrels will be moving down the hills this time, Pine Martins unless in peoples gardens tend to be nocturnal, I've seen 3 or 4 in nearly 20 years, indeed having seen a couple, Wild Cats are seen more frequently for me lately. Dolphins and Porpoises can be seen round the coasts, Divers are now on the coasts, places like the Ythan Estuary can throw up all sorts of rarities from time to time, as can Lunan Bay and Montrose Basin.

Glen Shee in Aberdeenshire

You've lost me there Burnie? Is there a Glen Shee in Aberdeenshire?

The only one I've heard of is in Perthshire (from Bridge of Cally to the Spittal). After the Cairnwell running down to Braemar is Glen Clunie. Is this where you mean? ;)

The only one I've heard of is in Perthshire (from Bridge of Cally to the Spittal). After the Cairnwell running down to Braemar is Glen Clunie. Is this where you mean? ;)
There's another Glenshee (also Little Glenshee) NW of Perth at 56.488834, -3.648774... but that doesn't help!

Glen Doll once was a place for chancing upon a Golden Eagle, but nowadays you probably would have to go some way north up Jock's Road for that, unless they've returned to the Glen Doll area. Mind you, about 20 years ago, that location was good for hepatic Cuckoos...!
MJB

There's another Glenshee (also Little Glenshee) NW of Perth at 56.488834, -3.648774...

Yeah a nice wee glen that one. Saw a pair of Meadow Pipits feeding a young cuckoo there!

I've always known the bit from the ski centre to Breamar as Glen Shee, despite the burn being the Clunie water, never heard the name Glen Clunie until now, you live and learn.

Not long been back from a place called Dalnavert just south of Aviemore. Beautiful Lochs all around (Garten, Insch, Eilein, Alvie , Morlich) - didn't see any Pine Martins, but wildlife galore. Red Squirrels and Badgers as well. I'll post some pics.

I've always known the bit from the ski centre to Breamar as Glen Shee, despite the burn being the Clunie water, never heard the name Glen Clunie until now, you live and learn.
However, Glen Shee is named after the Shee Water, which runs from the Cairnwell area down to Bridge of Cally, where it's joined by the River Ardle; the two then becoming known as the River Ericht. This then runs through Blairgowrie until it joins the River Isla just north of Coupar Angus.

That's a good area to keep an eye on in the winter, especially if it's been flooded. It attracts loads of water birds and waders.

I wonder how many other water courses have so many changes of name in less than 50 miles?

I'm sorry to have bothered you good people but I have now had to put the trip off because I have to have a small Procedure a camera down my Throat within this month so I will have to make it next year for a week at least you could still let me know anywhere that is best in spring time especially for the Eagles and all the best of Scotland

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back