• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommended flip down objective covers for 8x32 BNs? (1 Viewer)

If you are in the US, you might see if the Butler Creek company makes one that fits. They make flip covers in many sizes.

These work well, they are the original covers I believe. Don't overthink it.

Jerry

Attachments

• Leica 8x32 BN.jpg
    Leica 8x32 BN.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 13
I guess you need objective covers for your binoculars when they're not used. When binoculars are not in use, I consider them to be in transport. The finest accessories developed by Leica for transporting their Trinovid BA's and BN's are the holsters. They are very sturdy, relatively light and do protect the instrument better than Leica's soft leather pouches. Using them as intended (holster) is a disappointment, just consider them travel cases. As the holsters have gone out of production a long time ago, you have to search auctions and old optics shops storage rooms. Which can be fun.

Renze

Attachments

• Gürteltasche (1).jpg
    Gürteltasche (1).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 13
The Leica belt holster came in 2 sizes for x32 and x42 binoculars, and dates from 20 or more years ago
See the details from a 2002 catalogue

Also see some additional images: it would seem to be a reasonably easy DIY project for a 'crafty' person
The body is in one piece, and it would be easy to modify the design to provide greater protection for both ends of the binocular

John

Attachments

• Two Sizes.jpg
    Two Sizes.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 10
  • x42 Version.jpg
    x42 Version.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Underside.jpg
    Underside.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The only flip down objective covers available are the ones mentioned above, the Butler Creek Bushwackers.
If you want covers, then do your homework, many will fit. The red Leica BN was a special edition and they had some
options the others did not have. ;)

Jerry

Regarding holster: Which mass/weight and therefore what format of binoculars can you wear on your belt without losing pants, panties and trousers?
Leica BA and BN 42 are heavy bricks (890 g), which I certainly don't want on a belt. 700 grams (Nikon MHG 42) on the belt is probably also too much. Soldiers wear a wide waist belt with connected harness, fortunately I am not a soldier.
Jessie

Last edited:
Regarding holster: Which mass/weight and therefore what format of binoculars can you wear on your belt without losing pants, panties and trousers?
Leica BA and BN 42 are heavy bricks (890 g), which I certainly don't want on a belt. 700 grams (Nikon MHG 42) on the belt is probably also too much. Soldiers wear a wide waist belt with connected harness, fortunately I am not a soldier.
Jessie
Agreed. Also, the holster refuses to hang nicely straight down from the belt (I tried the 8x32). That's why I consider them disappointing as intended. I discovered however that they're superb as a case: excellent protection for the objectives and with the eye cups down and the rainguard in place, the eye pieces are protected just as good.
Renze

Renze, I don't find the holster uninteresting either: A DIY holster might be an idea for a lightweight 8x30 (Nikon MHG, Monarch 7, Kite Lynx). But there are small, modern, cheap belt pouches for cameras. But the plastic (nylon) rubs against the binoculars and their optics more than the classic velvet of the really beautiful leather holster. So you need a rainguard and protection for the lenses - awkward. I would probably line the inside of a camera belt bag with soft fabric, velvet or cotton. Jessie.

Last edited:
Renze, I don't find the holster uninteresting either: A DIY holster might be an idea for a lightweight 8x30 (Nikon MHG, Monarch 7, Kite Lynx). But there are small, modern, cheap belt pouches for cameras. But the plastic (nylon) rubs against the binoculars and their optics more than the classic velvet of the really beautiful leather holster. So you need a rainguard and protection for the lenses - awkward. I would probably line the inside of a camera belt bag with soft fabric, velvet or cotton. Jessie.
Jessie,
You put your binoculars to sleep! Don't! Keep them alert! Keep them Woke!
Renze

Just wanted to close the loop on this - the current 8x32 Trinovid HD covers work on the BNs...not perfect, a little small, but good enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back