• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommended sites (1 Viewer)

Rima99

This will be our first visit to Malaysia and I'd be really grateful for any birdwatching sites that you can recommend. Our itinerary will be from KL -> Kuala Selangor -> Langkawi -> Georgetown -> Ulu Muda Earth Lodge -> Ipoh -> KL (possibly with one more stop between Ipoh and KL).

So far I've found out about Kuala Selangor Nature Park/Taman Alam, and arranged a private bird guide for Langkawi (plus a mangrove tour). Obviously there will be plenty of bird and wildlife watching at Earth Lodge.

As this is our first trip, we don't really have a particular tick list - all birds will be good birds (although I'd love the chance to see owls of any description)! Are there any local spots along this route that you could recommend?

Thank you.

Hi Rima99,

When you are in KL you could use Mr Lee of www.endemicguides.com, they provide various day and half day tour options, and I can recommend him from my visit in October 2014 (see http://www.cloudbirders.com/tripreport/repository/SHARP_Malaysia_1011_2014.pdf for further). If you explain you have a particular interest in owls he might be able to help you target those. As mentioned in that trip report if you are in Georgetown (a nice place to visit) you could try the Gurney Drive mudflats for shorebirds and kingfishers. Take a taxi to the Gurney Drive shopping mall, and walk to the North end of the road, viewing from the Chinese seafood restaurant area on a rising tide.

You might include a visit to Fraser's Hill after Ipoh.

Happy birding, Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back