• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recording app for iOS (1 Viewer)

Voice Record Pro seems good, although I doesn't do sonograms. I found the app after searching for apps that allow adjustment of recording level. However, since my search, I have also found reference to the app by eBird/Macaulay (Smartphone recording tips for recording birds in the field and Setting up recording apps for iOS devices). The latter link shows you how to set up the recorder.

Although EBird/Macaulay suggest using 48,000kHz and 24 bit, you can select a sample rate up to 96kHz, and Bit Depth up to 32 bit. I have not tried pushing recordings, to see how 32 bit recordings perform. If it does works and recordings cannot be overloaded (save for mic distortion), then it would be quite impressive - 32 bit field recorders are still quite rare (and normally quite expensive) pieces of kit, so to get something in a phone for £6.99 (advert free) would be quite extraordinary. I haven't checked whether any of these recording options are dependent on the iPhone model.

The bad points for me are that the meters only seem to work when the app is recording and when you press stop it processes the file then kicks you out to the recordings screen. This mean you cannot check the meter and adjust the level prior to starting a recording. Also if you start a recording, adjust the levels then stop and start a new recording, you will end up wasting time through processing and then having to go back through the menus again - all options should be as you left them (including input gain), so I suppose pressing record twice is hardly a major time waster. My 'work flow' is just to make a single recording, with adjustments, then to cut and trim this this into usable recordings, during post processing on my desktop.

Regards

Jon Bryant

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back