• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-breasted or hybrid Sapsucker? Reno NV USA (1 Viewer)

Birds4Kathy

On Jan 11, 2021 I visited a park in Reno NV called Bowers Mansion. I spotted a sapsucker there which didn't look entirely like the common species reported for Reno, i.e., the Red Breasted Sapsucker. I wondered if it might instead be a hybrid of Red-breasted and Red-naped sapsucker although this hybrid has only been reported in the Reno vicinity 6 times since 2012. I have enclosed the photos I was able to get. Are these photos sufficient to distinguish between the two possibilities? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Kathy.

Red-naped Sapsucker small.jpgRed-naped Sapsucker7 small.jpgRed-naped Sapsucker9 small.jpgRed-naped Sapsucker11 small.jpg

I'm not familiar with either species, let alone hybrids, but these photos look quite distinct from what's in my guidebook. Your bird looks a lot like a red-breasted, but with a little extra black-and-white patterning around the eye, a particularly large white "mustache", and distinct black-and-white stripes up the neck. Those features look highly suggestive of red-naped parentage. (Yellow-bellied has similar patterns, but seems less likely based on range.)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back