• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Collared Dove? - Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
Picked up yesterday, October 22nd in scrub woods separating city from open rice fields in Panjin, Liaoning, China. Eurasian Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) are not uncommon here, but this is one of a pair that attracted my attention as they just looked smaller and more uniformly reddish brown. As you can see in the second photo the very thin black collar lacks the white outline of a ECD. The other one flew off more clearly showing the white under tail which looks yellowish in this photo due to the lighting. Also the black eyes would indicate Red Collared Dove (Streptopelia tranquebarica). Very quiet and shy.

Would be a lifer so looking for confirmation before claiming.

Attachments

• IMG_7747.jpeg
    IMG_7747.jpeg
    437.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7756.jpeg
    IMG_7756.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 39
Thanks all. The reason I was even asking was that when I was searching it I found a few photos almost identical with an ID (probably incorrectly) as a RCD. It was noticeably smaller and redder than I usually see here. I was concerned about the coloration on the head being off but again it matched some of the photos I found. That is why I like to run anything new to me past you guys before jumping to claiming it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back