• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Red Dots (1 Viewer)

erniehatt

I had been having problems with sighting quickly, so decided on trying a Red Dot finder. A gentle warning to anyone colour blind like me, they are not very good in daylight the red dot just disappears. So back to the old drawing board once again. I had this old Zoom lens from and old BETA VIDEO CAMERA, so made up a bracket to fit on my home brew adapter, it works great, was trying it out on different subjects, when this one came along, I was not, particularly set up for photography but tried it anyway. Distance about 15 meters. Ernie

Attachments

• IMG_0468+.jpg
    IMG_0468+.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0470+.jpg
    IMG_0470+.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 214

erniehatt

Paul Jarvis said:
Nice photos ernie, the one on the left looks the best to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Paul,
As I said I was not at the time setup for photography, the camera was set on Custom Self Timer, at 1sec intervals for 3 shots. this was two of them.The first had a slight touch of camera shake. Ernie

Neil Kurz

Also, would the green-dot be more visible than the red-dot?

Roger[/QUOTE]

Not if, like me, you suffer from one of the commonest (I believe) forms of colour-blindness, and that is red-green blind.

Neil

erniehatt

rogerscoth said:
There are Red/Green Dot Sights available; for example, see http://www.jsramsbottom.com/cgi-bin/jsr.exe/dynamiclink?a=1&b=0&z=0&aP=0&source=/RED/Reddot_all.HTM - (bottom of the page), although this may not be available in Australia as it is an "own name sight" manufactured for J.S.Ramsbottom. Also, would the green-dot be more visible than the red-dot?

Roger

Thanks Roger,
Well Ime not sure as to wether the green dot would be any different, though Red is my most probmatic colour. It would be a and expensive exersize to try out. I dont have a problem getting stuff from the UK, as I have family there. Ernie

erniehatt

Nipper said:
Also, would the green-dot be more visible than the red-dot?

Roger

Not if, like me, you suffer from one of the commonest (I believe) forms of colour-blindness, and that is red-green blind.

Neil[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Roger, I think Im in the red green league with Neil, anyhow it would be an expensive exercise to find out. Ernie

YellowBudgie

erniehatt said:
I had been having problems with sighting quickly, so decided on trying a Red Dot finder. A gentle warning to anyone colour blind like me, they are not very good in daylight the red dot just disappears. So back to the old drawing board once again. I had this old Zoom lens from and old BETA VIDEO CAMERA, so made up a bracket to fit on my home brew adapter, it works great, was trying it out on different subjects, when this one came along, I was not, particularly set up for photography but tried it anyway. Distance about 15 meters. Ernie

Is there any way to buy an adapter that would let you easily mount a red dot sight to a Swarovski Scope / Tripod Handle (Swarovski Tripod 2)? I'm not a great do-it-yourselfer. I'm getting lost in the branches :)

Thanks,

erniehatt

Hi, some makers have there own red dot finders, I know mine has, and a mounting for it. Best contact them on the subject. I have just fitted a finder scope to mine, being as the red dot didn't work, it is quite accurate. Ernie

YellowBudgie

erniehatt said:
Hi, some makers have there own red dot finders, I know mine has, and a mounting for it. Best contact them on the subject. I have just fitted a finder scope to mine, being as the red dot didn't work, it is quite accurate. Ernie

It's good to hear some scope makers have their own red dot sights.

I don't think Swarovski has one of these but the tri-pod is based on a Bogen/Manfroto Tri-Pod I think. I'll check out their web site and see if there's anything that clamps on the tripod handle. I can check other scope companies and maybe adapt one of these to my setup.

If anyone has done this for the Swarovski Tripod 2 without making your own adapter I'd love to hear how you did it.

If anyone has made your own adapter for the Tri-Pod 2 I would like to see your photos of it and how you did it. Perhaps if I can't find an easy way I could pay a local company to make one up if cost isn't too high.

I would love to have one of these setup. I keep trying the follow the tree branches to the bird and have gotten a bit better but it's one tree I've been taking photos from and I rely on the feeder metal hangers on the branch.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread