• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-eyed/Cream-vented/Olive-winged Bulbul? Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Taken in Borneo Tropical Rainforest Resort, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, December 2020. Early morning around 7am.

Thanks to @andyb39 for pointing out in my separate post in "Your Birding Day" (https://www.birdforum.net/threads/day-2-in-borneo-rainforest.405438/#post-4162094) that the one on the Right should be Cream-vented Bulbul (red-eyed) instead. I have encountered several similar look alike bulbul which I assumed was Olive-winged. Guess I misidentified them.

The bulbul on the Left was taken in proximity area. It looks not same as Right bird one. Another type of bulbul?

It seems to be more appropriate for me to post here to ask for confirmation of the ID.

I also would like to double confirm on this Cream-vented Bulbul (Red-eyed) - Right bird. After I further research on it, it seems has another type but not with red eye color. Could someone further elaborate little bit of it?

Many thanks.

bulbul.jpg

Left hand bird is Olive winged. I was there is March and found Spectacled to often be the commonest species around the walkway, followed by Red eyed. Olive winged was quite common, but seemed to be more on the margins, rather than so much within the forest, though I did still see it from the walkway. I only saw a couple of birds that I was happy were Cream vented, but, for my money, I would say that that is what your other bird is.

Left hand bird is Olive winged. I was there is March and found Spectacled to often be the commonest species around the walkway, followed by Red eyed. Olive winged was quite common, but seemed to be more on the margins, rather than so much within the forest, though I did still see it from the walkway. I only saw a couple of birds that I was happy were Cream vented, but, for my money, I would say that that is what your other bird is.
Thank you very much David.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back