• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Red-Footed Falcon ? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Is it possible to recognize from such photos whether it is a Red-footed falcon or maybe a kestrel ? - help to decide :).

Attachments

• IMG_9813.1.JPG
    IMG_9813.1.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9815.1.JPG
    IMG_9815.1.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9816.JPG
    IMG_9816.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9818.JPG
    IMG_9818.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 64

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Michal,
overall colouration, colouration pattern and jizz looks good for a female Red-Footed Falcon. The right orange body, white contrasting cheeks, the right grey colour to upperparts. If the choice is between Kestrel, RFF, Merlin, Hobby and Peregrine, I think this can be identified as a RFF with a high degree of certainty. Adding a shape, that looks good for RFF: compact, short tailed with long, but still broad wings.
Caveat: I would like to learn, if a 1cy RFF with the warmest underparts within variation can be excluded here. Because I think, appearant lack of streaked breast/belly can be result of low resolution (as allways no offense). But then orangey underwing-coverts must be explained by warm light condtions, which I think wouldnt produce such "perfect" female type orange underwing-coverts.
If your bird isnt a RFF, than light conditions and artefacts would produce a pitfall picture here, that seems hardly believable to me.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
A RFF in Poland (in November too?!) would be a nice record.

What date and where did you photograph this Michal?

Last edited:

Alexander Stöhr

From my experience and literature, RFF are at least regular in Poland (and NE-Germany). They even can occur in small (rare large) flocks in "influx years". I have seen some during migration in NE-Germany.
Assuming, this wasnt taken recently? A RFF in late november outside normal migration period in Poland would be a good record, I think?

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
A RFF in late november outside normal migration period in Poland would be a good record, I think?
Yes, regular and less scarce than in the UK - I remember seeing them much more regularly 20 years ago in the UK but they have very much declined as a species everywhere. I suppose a late breeder could account for aNovember record in Eastern Europe/Poland ? but, it would be a good record nonetheless.

Michał Jaro

Nutcracker - that is the date of the copy. Here is the original date and size

Attachments

• IMG_9815.JPG
    IMG_9815.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 27

Michał Jaro

Thank you all for your explanations and opinions. With such unanimity, I accept the identification - red-footed falcon ! (which I see at most
once or twice a year)

Users who are viewing this thread