• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red kites at Nant yr Arian mid Wales (1 Viewer)

We recently spent a few days in mid Wales staying in Eglwysfach and visiting all of our favourite places.
On Thursday the 30th June we drove to Nant yr Arian where we could always see red kites even before the centre starting feeding them at the same time every afternoon.Looking out over the valley seeing buzzards and kites in the distance we saw, much to our surprise a very pale kite, almost white, riding the thermals. Talking later to a young man who was shortly going to take up a job at the newly built RSPB 'virtual hide', this bird was known about at Gigrin Farm. It is a Leucistic kite that hatched in 2003 30 miles NW of Gigrin. Leucistic tendencies is caused by lack of melanin pigment in the skin and is a relatively rare genetic trait. We felt privileged to have seen this rare bird.
On the holiday we saw our first red kite over the fields by the lane leading from Eglwysfach to the Ynyshir reserve, being mobbed by crows as usual. The pied flycatchers had mostly fledged but we did see some females and immatures; we also saw numbers of tree creepers, and much to our delight saw a little egret chick flapping its wings at the top of a tree in the heronry, a pair having bred on the reserve. The rare white kite and the little egret were the most memorable sightings of our short break.
More information about the white kite can be found on theGigrin Farm website Gigrin.co.uk

Ann & Peter,

Congratulations - it's a fantastic site, and the leucistic Kite is a fantastic sight! Weve seen it there a few times and it is both ghostly and impressive.

I'm amazed more (northern) birders don't go to this feeding station. I've also seen Hobby here too on a couple of visits.

There's also a kite feeding station at Tregaron Bog which can attract impressive numbers (up to 100 kites), but I think it only operates during the winter.

My wife and I go to the caravan in wales regularly, and have seen this beautiful bird a couple of times. It certainly makes the trip worthwhile.

Hello:

Thank you for posting the Red Kite Site. I have visitied
and will return.. Also, wil pass this on to my friends overseas.

What a magnificent bird (raptor).. and I can only
imagine the white ones.

The countryside looks divine.

Wish I could do a trip.
:egghead:

I also recently visited the FC site at Nant Yr Arian and saw this spectacular bird not only is it different in colour it is also different in behaviour. The (White) Red Kite was the only Kite of 50 or so present that landed on the ground to feed and stayed on the ground whilst it ate!

Could this be due to poor eyesight because of a lack pigment as is sometimes the case in albinos?

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back