• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites In Essex (1 Viewer)

I have just seen a red kite flying over Limebrook Farm along the A414, when I was driving back from Chelmsford towards Maldon, anyone else seen one round this area before?

Sam

Not there but I have had one over my Heybridge garden before which isn't so far - and of course there was one at Braxted Park for a while at the turn of the year

Red kites in essex

Hi all, about the red kites in Essex forum so far this spring I've seen 1 by south woodham ferres, there was two red kites over the a12 at kelvedon at roughly 2:30ish And I saw the red kite that was at abberton reservoir last month. My friend spotted one at Colchester north junction of the a12 also.

I haven't had one in Essex this year but I have seen plenty of sightings by others this spring.With regards to the chiltern birds,these are gradually spreading east and the M25 can be a good indicator if you travel along the northern/western stretch.10 years ago you would be lucky to see the odd kite between beaconsfield & the m25 on the M40.5 years ago you would see the odd bird around rickmansworth on the M25 and even 2 years ago you would be lucky to see a kite as far east as south momma services but this year they appear pretty regularly there and I have had them as far east on the M25 as the A10 junction,which is not more than 3 or 4 miles from the Essex border.Give it 10 years and the west of Essex should be a decent place for kite sightings

Last edited:
Regarding Red Kites in Essex, only ever spotted 2, the first was flying low, on other side of the river, seen from Robbies hide at EWT Fingringhoe Wick, April 3rd 2010. The 2nd bird was over EWT Blue House Farm, not too high & was heading in direction of Hanningfield, can`t find date in our diaries, but was after the 2010 bird. Hoping to spot another soon, always looking.

A couple of friends of mine had one drift over the campus at writtle and were lucky enough to photograh it for ID. There was a noticable movement of them in the 3rd week of march.

My dad saw a red kite around junction 26 on the M25 around 7pm
This evening,that's the junction for Waltham abbey at the north west edge of Epping Forest

Two Red Kites have been seen regularly around the Great Totham area this spring. It is, however, over 2 weeks since I last saw one and I have no evidence of any breeding activity. A Harris's Hawk has also been knocking about locally, since summer 2010. Again no recent personal sightings (ie within 2 weeks). Most reports are from golfers at Forester Park.

A single Red Kite has been seen around Great Totham. Well to be more precise, I am not aware of 2 having been seen together. The bird I have seen is probably a male but I could be mistaken and it is small female. This year it appears to have adult plumage. Anyone seeing the bird, who can confirm its sex, please advise. Also any sightings of two birds (which were present last May) also please advise. There is no historic evidence of breeding here.

Dave

Dave

Dave

Wasn't there a few just north of Dunmow a couple of years ago ? Think
Thaxted way?

I inadvertently photographed one between Mole Hill Green & Broxted on April 29th (13.20). I was taking photos of aircraft landing at Stansted and only noticed it in 3 succesive pics when I was processing them on my computer(it was rather distant).

I also saw one at Coggeshall recently by the A120 at the junction with
Colne road.

the first one i ever saw in Essex was at Terling on 9th March 2009, I only had a compact digital camera in those days but fortunately had it with me and got some shots good enough to confirm it.

Note -first post on here but have been reading regularly for some time, hope to now make worthwhile contributions rather than just gain information.

There was one reported over Rayne last Saturday (1st June) and I saw another myself at codham (about 4 miles NW of Braintree) on monday morning c.11.00

one just passed over Rayne at about 150ft heading east towards Braintree. first i've seen for about 4 weeks but they seem to be appearing abit more frequently nowadays

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back