Red or Yellow-line Quaker? (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Fractious Member of ill repute
England
I don't find the text in Waring in regard to the separation of these two, to be any help at all.

On colour alone it should be Yellow-line but judging by the illustration in Waring, Red-line, has a red outline to the oval which this seems to have and which is not illustrated on Yellow-line?

Attachments

• PA240510.JPG
    PA240510.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
There are a few pics of Yellow-lined on Norfolk Moths (a resource I am increasingly finding useful, in spite of being nowhere near the place) which seem to show a similar reddish fringe to the kidney. Also the deep downward pointing dusky "V", with the kidney at its point, is present here, and seems to be a feature more of Yellow-lined than Red. (On Red, when present, the "V" seems to be much shallower.) The obvious caveat is my relative inexperience!

Last edited:

Andy Adcock

Fractious Member of ill repute
England
There are a few pics of Yellow-lined on Norfolk Moths (a resource I am increasingly finding useful, in spite of being nowhere near the place) which seem to show a similar reddish fringe to the kidney. Also the deep downward pointing dusky "V", with the kidney at its point, is present here, and seems to be a feature more of Yellow-lined than Red. (On Red, when present, the "V" seems to be much shallower.) The obvious caveat is my relative inexperience!

Thanks for this,
I don't often trap this late so my experience of both is limited, in fact, it would only be my second record were it to be Yellow. Red-line should be the commonest in Notts I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread