• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Red or Yellow-line Quaker? (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

England
I don't find the text in Waring in regard to the separation of these two, to be any help at all.

On colour alone it should be Yellow-line but judging by the illustration in Waring, Red-line, has a red outline to the oval which this seems to have and which is not illustrated on Yellow-line?

Attachments

• PA240510.JPG
    PA240510.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
There are a few pics of Yellow-lined on Norfolk Moths (a resource I am increasingly finding useful, in spite of being nowhere near the place) which seem to show a similar reddish fringe to the kidney. Also the deep downward pointing dusky "V", with the kidney at its point, is present here, and seems to be a feature more of Yellow-lined than Red. (On Red, when present, the "V" seems to be much shallower.) The obvious caveat is my relative inexperience!

Last edited:

Andy Adcock

England
There are a few pics of Yellow-lined on Norfolk Moths (a resource I am increasingly finding useful, in spite of being nowhere near the place) which seem to show a similar reddish fringe to the kidney. Also the deep downward pointing dusky "V", with the kidney at its point, is present here, and seems to be a feature more of Yellow-lined than Red. (On Red, when present, the "V" seems to be much shallower.) The obvious caveat is my relative inexperience!

Thanks for this,
I don't often trap this late so my experience of both is limited, in fact, it would only be my second record were it to be Yellow. Red-line should be the commonest in Notts I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread