• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

red-tailed or red-rumped wheatear at Luxor December 2012? (1 Viewer)

biking birder 2010

Back in December I put a bird report onto birdforum detailing a trip to Luxor. I put in that report that I was unsure as to the identification of a wheatear seen near to the Valley of the Nobles.

I've attached a photo of the bird and would love to know what you think.

email me at

[email protected] or post here. Thanks.:t:

Attachments

• red tailed wheatear.jpg
    red tailed wheatear.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 148
I believe this is Oenanthe xanthoprymna - Kurdish Wheatear (although sometimes, confusingly, called Red-rumped).

I think it can be distinguished from O. moesta by narrow supercilium, absence of white fringes on wing coverts and more extensive rufous vent.

I believe this is Oenanthe xanthoprymna - Kurdish Wheatear (although sometimes, confusingly, called Red-rumped).

I think it can be distinguished from O. moesta by narrow supercilium, absence of white fringes on wing coverts and more extensive rufous vent.

Thanks Waxwings. This bird is fascinating. I'm enjoying the conundrum . One of the pleasures of birding. ATB:t:

Yes it's a Kurdish Wheatear, male, but it used to be called Red Tailed not Red Rumped which is a different species.

Because of the harsh light it's difficult to tell but although there appears to be a white base to the outer tail feathers, which would be right for Kurdish but the supercillium looks quite broad and meets over the forehead. It also looks like it runs down behind the ear coverts for quite a way. The greater wing coverts, at least, have rather bold white tips (whether this continues as a white margin I can't tell ) and there is a pale panel on the secondaries. The crown also appears to be much lighter than the back, but, yet again, this could be down to harsh light. Red-rumped IMO. Oe. modesta

Chris

Last edited:
Because different taxa have been given the name red-rumped, red-tailed, etc by different authorities, this is probably one of the situations where including the scientific name for every opinion would be wise ;)

Niels

BWP has Red-rumped limited to NW coastal strip of Egypt, with some Nile Valley records of Kurdish. Dont know if this fits with current thinking. Leaning towards Kurdish myself, doesn't look bulky enough for the other, although the wingbar doesn't fit my experience, I've only seen adults in summer plumage.
Did you see the tail?

Last edited:
BWP has Red-rumped limited to NW coastal strip of Egypt, with some Nile Valley records of Kurdish. Dont know if this fits with current thinking. Leaning towards Kurdish myself, doesn't look bulky enough for the other, although the wingbar doesn't fit my experience, I've only seen adults in summer plumage.
Did you see the tail?

Frustratingly as I photographed it a fox disturbed it and it flew over the outside temple wall where I could not relocate it. I had no views of the tail. I only wish I had as it would have answered my question over it's id'.

Thanks for replying everyone. ATB

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back