• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red/White bird Dayton, Ohio (1 Viewer)

MichelleOhio

Sorry, no pictures...yet. My Mother had a pair of birds this morning that she can't identify and I can't identify from her description...any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here's the info she gave me:

The size of a finch/sparrow
Red head & breast
White belly
Black & white wings and tail
Red on back (between wings above tail)

That's all I have to go on. :(

Thanks, Phil, but not a House or Purple Finch...she can ID those. She says this was a more "drastic" colored bird. Thumbing through her field guide she said, "oh, there it is!" but it was a Green Kingfisher. LOL

She also says they weren't woodpeckers as they were smaller and more finch/sparrow like.

Last edited:
Darn!

Pine Grosbeak?

http://www.my-photo-blog.com/wp-con...ow your Mom on an image search! Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Doubt it but Rose-breasted Grosbeak? Just throwing it out there. As a suggestion.

EDIT: Nevermind, she said the head was red.... haha sorry I'm exhausted.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back